Bowel issues following surgery and chemo

• 3 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi - I had a stage T3 cancer N1M0 of the sigmoid colon. The tumour was successfully removed with clear margins, 12 nodes were removed and 1 found to contain cancer cells; 12 weeks of chemo followed. That was 18 months ago. Tests at 12 months and a recent colonoscopy were good.  However, ever since the operation my bowels have been a bit erratic, I usually empty them 2 or 3 times a day, and sometimes feel as though I’m not quite emptying them and then need to do so about an hour later. My oncologist didn’t seem to be concerned about this. Do others have similar experiences?

• Hi! I take it you had a stoma? Has this been reversed? My colorectal nurses told me my bowels would never be the same after surgery and they were right. I'm all over the place with mine, and the farts! I never had them before but I sure do now lol. Foods I used to be able to eat I cannot tolerate now, so I am learning what I can and cannot eat. (Not fair when I loved lentils but can't eat them now) it's hard to adjust to the new you, and everything is scary when you dont know what to expect. I relate to a lot of what you are saying, you are definitely not alone. X

•  , I had a high anterior resection 7 years ago. All clear since, fortunately. My bowels are still very unpredictable.  Very common, though a nuisance. You get used to it though.

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• Thanks for that, good to know I'm not alone. i have to watch certain types of food. Nuts, grains and fizzy drinks, incl beer, will give me bowel problems. Hardly surprising I know but I do enjoy them and sometimes give in to temptation.