Leg cramps including shin - popping sensation

• 1 reply
  • 129 subscribers

Hello, 

My husband has just been diagnosed with primary bowel cancer with multiple liver metastases, both lungs, peritoneum, lymph and with some bone involvement (though no visible lesions). So a lot all at once. His main symptoms have been fatigue, right sided pain, breathlessness and digestive issues. He's lost a few lbs and his appetite is a little bit reduced, but otherwise looks very healthy. 

In recent weeks/months, he's experienced more regular leg cramps (which he's not experienced since his football years 20 years ago), even when he hasn't walked that far. This has included cramp in the front of his leg/shin and when he touches it, he experiences a popping sensation. He's not embarked on any cancer treatment yet (we await a colonoscopy and biopsy before any can be decided), but I have read that cancer itself can sometimes cause cramps. 

Has anyone else experienced similar? I'm wondering if anything in particular helps. 

Thank you. 

• Hi  

So sorry to read of your husband’s diagnoses . But it’s good he is starting Chemo is good shape .

Has he spoken to his GP about it? My mum gets cramps but she has meds for it . It really helps.  However she also drinks tonic water as it has Quinine in it which she thinks helps . However not sure if there is enough to turn it around .

My mum also got leg cramps recently due to low sodium .

But his GP should definitely be able to have a look at his blood or assess the situation .

Very painful !

And one to address before starting treatment as my mum had quite a few cramps on chemo .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000