Colon Cancer / Liver Met

• 8 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Been diagnosed last week with colon cancer 4cm tumor not broken colon wall in perfect health and no symptoms.

had CT scan last week and came back the some marks and radiographer was not sure so being sent for MRI

Is a CT scan not able to detect cancer tumors? How could the radiographer not know and is the MRI to confirm cancer 

I am going out of my mind 

• Hi Dek76

We are a little further on than you so I thought this might help. My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer (tumour in upper right colon) following a colonoscopy in May. He had a CT scan a couple of weeks later which the consultant said radiographer just wasn’t sure about something on the liver. So we had an MRI 10 days ago and were phoned to say that yes there was spread to the liver. I think MRI gives a clearer picture, like more focused. Anyway we are going for our first oncology appointment today as the original plan was surgery on the bowel but now it’s more likely to be chemo and then surgery. The uncertainty/ waiting is the worst part. Once things start to come together you will most likely feel a bit less in the dark. x 

• Thank you Jen37 sorry to hear about your dad - I’m in my early 40s and my kids are both under 6 so I am praying that it will come up clear - I’m also having to wait for a PET Scan as well and this is taking ages - 

not sure why I need the additional 

was your dads cancer isolated in the colon 

Do most liver lesions end up being cancer 

• Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I’m sorry that you’re going through this. MRI show up soft tissue abnormalities whereas as a CT-PET can detect abnormal changes at a cellular level so it’s great that you’re getting both. Which scans you get are mainly due to pathways of care and evidence of which works best in that area. No two people are the same. Try not to compare your treatment to others. I work in the health service and everything needs to have an evidence base behind it. It’s not to say that things are any worse because you’re getting a CT- PET / MRI / CT / ultrasound etc…

People can have completely benign cysts on their liver that they wouldn’t have been aware of.. it’s so hard to sit with the “not knowing” but I would say you can only go on what you have been told so far. What is definite. Everything else is pointless. 

• There are harmless cysts called haemogynomas, but also the liver is the most common place for it to spread to, usually liver then lungs. 
    The MRI is a close up of just the liver so they can get some really good detail on it to confirm if it is or not. My dad did have it on his liver so now stage 4, but they are still intending to cure him. 
    I really hope you get the best outcome 

• Morning Jen how did your oncology app go yesterday? I have my MRI today and I havnt slept a wink and 2 sick kids of 5 & 6 - 

• Hi Dek76 

This what will be happening..

Dad will be getting a chemo combination treatment delivered via a picc line (line that stays in constantly and goes up his arm into the large veins). It’s called FOLFOX. He had a blood test today to screen for a particular genetic component so they can make sure they give him the right dose as this gene can interact with it. It will take 10 days to come back.

Plan is to go to city hospital to get pretreatment bloods on 17th and start chemo on 19th July. Chemo will be 2 hour infusion and an injection at the clinic and then a 46-48 pump infusion which he will be able to have at home.
    This will happen over 6 cycles for 12weeks and will take us to mid October (if there are no delays). He will then get rescanned / bloods etc and surgery approx 3 weeks after final chemo.
    Obviously as we know, chemo can have a lot of side effects so they may have to be managed as / if they come, possible red blood cell infusion, immune system depletion, nausea etc..

• How are you doing??