CEA levels

• 8 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi. I'm concerned because my CEA level has increased to 1.0 from 0.7 in my latest blood test.  Itr also increased from 0.5 to 0.7 in the previous test 6 months ago 

Has anyone experienced this?  I know it's still within range, but the increase is worrying me.

• Your CEA can bounce a bit if you took it twice in one week as far as I understand. My mum has had many CEA readings and some times they pop up a little and down again .

I am no expert but given it can fluctuate a bit I would think it’s too early to worry about it just yet.

Its hard as anxieties can surface and make you worry about things .

You take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you for your reply.  No, it wasn't twice in one week. It was 2 tests, six months apart from each other.  It's just that it has stayed constant for 2 years since my surgery, the risen on each of  the last 2 tests.

• Sorry , I meant you could take it twice in one week and get two different readings .

Has your Oncologist offered any input ? You could say that you are concerned about the increase in trajectory.

Have you had a scan during this time ?

You also might like to make sure they are using the same lab each time as some people have found small variations in that .

But if you have not had a scan it might offer some reassurance to see if your oncologist feels it would help .

My mum’s oncologist scans if it breaches the threshold or If she was increasing around the threshold .

Not sure what age you are but inflammation and aging itself pushed my mum’s up a bit for a few years . The scans at that point were fine .

But please do ask for an appointment.

It gives you more answers and reassurance.

Take care 

court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi  If you click on my name then you’ll see that mine went from under 1 to 1 to 1.8 to 1.5. I’ve read before that it can vary like your blood pressure can? They will only be concerned if it jumps up in larger numbers. I’ve attached a link to a post from the bowel cancer uk board from a few years ago that covers CEA rises? 

Managing your follow up & CEA 

Hope this helps?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for your reply.  That is reassuring to know. X

• The nurse wasn't concerned, so I really shouldn't be. I think I overreact to things.

I had my last scan in January and was all clear.  I am 78, so it could be age as you suggest.

Thank you. X

• Hi. Mine was 10 then 25 and it is now 65 but I’m incurable so I suppose it’s sort of a natural progression.

Maninbath

• Thank you.  Good wishes to you . Xx