Scared

• 5 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post but feel I need to talk to some people that maybe going through the same as me. I am a massive health anxiety sufferer and turned 40 earlier this year. I convinced myself this would be my year booked our first abroad holiday with my teenage children first time travelling alone with them too which was a massive step for me, we are getting a puppy end September time something I have always wanted so this year was going to be our year no worries just happy times! Then the diarrhea started. Occasionally after eating but mainly just in the morning. Tests for infection came back negative. Doctor suspected ibs but did extra tests just incase. Fit test has come back at 17.6 and calprotiectin 57. Now waiting to hear from the hospital as been referred for a colonoscopy on the 2ww. I have today noticed a tiny bit of pink blood when wiping, I have suffered piles since having my son nearly 16 years ago but never noticed blood before so don’t know if it’s the diarrhea causing them to bleed or something more sinister! Totally scared and freaking out right now! 

• Also to add I have lost weight and my appetite has gone but this isn’t new for me it happens every time my anxiety is high and previous to this I had put weight on so not too worried about that side of things 

• Sorry me again forgot to mention the noises my stomach makes is also very worrying mainly when I wake up and in evening when lying down doesn’t happen to much if I eat lunch but then maybe I just don’t notice as much as not lying down in silence 

• Hi Scared84!

I'm really sorry that you have had all these concerns. You've come to the right place where there are plenty of people here who can empathise with you. I've yet to meet anyone who enjoys the colonoscopy experience but it's great that you're getting it done now so that you can find the cause of your symptoms and get the help you need. I hope that it all goes well and that it turns out to be something very minor but if it isn't please remember that you have a place here to find support and advice.

Wishing you all the very best

Bilkofan

• Hi  Thrre are a lot of things that can cause blood in the stools like piles, ibs, colitis, diverticulitis, crohns etc. and 17.6 is a pretty low reading. The main things is to get checked out to put your mind at ease. 
    As you’ve said in your post - your anxiety is high and that will be what’s causing the loss of appetite and weight loss. Anxiety can also cause a lot of gurgling sounds in your tummy and lying down can have the same effect - my husband is always amazed at the sounds that mine makes especially after a cuppa!

Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis but it’s good that your doctor is being super vigilant. Please let us know how you get on and, if you want to chat to someone in person, then the support desk details are at the bottom of this post

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you both for your reply’s I will keep everyone updated. My grandfather had diverticulitis so I’m not sure if that is hereditary. I will have a couple of days without the diarrhea and think positive thoughts then it comes back and slaps me around the face! (Not literally it’s not that explosive) just hoping to hear from the hospital next week and get an appointment and fingers crossed get some answers