Just starting out

• 12 replies
  • 137 subscribers

I had a colonoscopy and was told directly afterwards that it was definitely cancer . I now have a scan tomorrow and I believe a team meets on Friday to discuss further action.How long after that do you here the results ?

• Hi just read your post 

In reply every hospital is different but the initial response is usually very quick to see what course of treatment is required.

From my experience ( kidney cancer stage 4) the early scans had the results within 2 weeks and treatment started within 6 weeks.

I know it's a very worrying time try and keep strong and fingers crossed for the scan results all the best Ryan 

• I know how difficult this time is for you. I was told at my colonoscopy that mine was cancer. That was 21st Feb. Since then I’ve had a scan, met my surgeon, met the oncology team and start chemo this Friday. It’s a scary time but trust in the fact that you’re in the system and everyone is going to support you on your journey. I wish you well. Let’s keep in touch. 

• Hi 7no

I think it depends on the treatment plan. I had a colonoscopy, MRI ,CT and an imaging endoscopy. As my tumour was rectal they wanted to plan the best plan for me 

Others are quicker

They decided surgery for me as I was close to blocking.

My colonoscopy was June and my operation was August. I had a named nurse that I could call which helped. 
    The early stage I feel is the toughest part. 
    Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• . had colonoscopy 16th Jan and was informed I had cancer. Had a rectal ct scan following week  surgery to remove tumour 29th Jan.I began chemo 3 weeks ago.Its a whirlwind. My heart goes out to you ,right now when you're waiting for it all to get started is a very difficult time. Don't be afraid to speak up and self advocate and ask evey question you need to.We are here for you

• Hi 7no

It's over 18 months since I was where you are now. Don't worry they won't have forgotten you. Some days last forever waiting for results or plans to be formulated. It may run into weeks before you know what the next step is. It was 3 weeks for me to be told that it was definitely cancerous after the 3rd biopsy and the same day I got a call from Oncology and shortly after Radiotherapy dept to do the test scan.

One of the most comforting things I was told by a colorectal nurse was not to worry as bowel tumours are slow growing and it will be the same size in a couple of months. True or not it helped as I had visions of this thing doubling in size every week!

Good luck with your treatment and ask any questions on here, it's a great place. Richard.

• Thanks very much for your reassuring reply

have now met surgeon and having Transverse resection and a few polyps removed on the 21/5

then wait for results to see what further action is necessary 

so I’m on my way