Jogging

• 5 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi all. I had a left hemicolectomy in 2021.All clear ever since and recovered well by the grace of God. Has anyone with a similar procedure started exercising afterwards. I'm a bit worried that all the shaking may cause the joint come undone or am I just paranoid?

• Gently does it.
    Pelvic floor, core, walking and  swimming will be a good way to strengthen and build confidence before jogging  

Best wishes with your training 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Droster

And welcome to the forum. I had a LAR with ‘temporary’ ileostomy in late 2021, with 12 cycles of FOLFOX chemo from Jan 2022 to  July 2022, and have been clear to date.

My advice with exercise is to build up slowly. Gentle walks initially, increasing the distance and speed gradually before begining to jog. A risk to the ‘join’ was never mentioned by my colorectal nurse. She stressed the need to always wear a support belt when exercising to minimise the risk of a hernia, peristomal or otherwise. I still wear a support belt and have no issues.

I resumed resistance weight training a couple of months after finishing chemo and have gradually built up my weights to the same as before diagnosis ( not bad for a 67 year old). I do this three times a week along with a daily 40 minute brisk walk.

Take it slow and steady at first. Wear some support and you should be fine.

• Many thanks spider56. Combining your advice with Artsie it seems jogging can be done providing that I start off by taking it easy.

Much appreciated. 

• Well done for resuming weight training at 67. I'm nearly 59.