Incurable but treatable Colon Cancer stage 4

• 6 replies
  • 132 subscribers

My husband found out he had colon cancer 6 weeks ago which had spread to the liver.. we felt optimistic that it would be operable after chemo and there would be a chance of recovery but sadly on Wednesday we were told it was incurable but treatable.. what does that mean? He is starting chemotherapy on Thursday of this week. Is it just about making him comfortable now or is there a chance he could go on some time providing the chemo works. Sorry if it’s not well written but my head is all over the place.

• My dad has currently just been diagnosed with spread to liver but said surgery would be possible but difficult, so the aim is to shrink the liver cancer then operate on it. 
    Some say inoperable but i have read plenty of cases where the chemo has shrunk them enough to then operate. 

The oncologist explained that all the outcomes just depend how an individual responds to chemotherapy . 

Hope your husband is mega responsive and they are able to operate in the future. 

• Thank you for your response… I’m trying to remain positive but it’s not always easy. 

I hope your dad has a good outcome.

• Its very hard to stay positive isnt it. 

My dad starts chemotherapy this week also. It helped me by reading some of the positive stories in some of these threads. 
    Id advise to stay well clear of google it is so out of date, stick to this site. 

thankyou

• Hi  

That is exactly the language I would expect them to use . My mum’s oncologist was pretty adamant at the beginning that she would never be cured . He was sadly right however she is entering her 15 th year soon of being treatable but not curable .

Chemotherapy did lead to liver surgery twice for her . There has been lots of highs along with recurrences but the robust scanning allowed earlier interventions.

They are pretty guarded and for good reason at the beginning until they see the scan results and the effect of chemotherapy on the spread but that language can change and they are often delighted when they can be more optimistic. 
    I used to think of each cycle shrinking the cancer . 
    Hope chemo is being kind and to your dad too  .

It’s harsh waiting to see what has been achieved but they do watch the tumour markers although chemo itself can make them unreliable.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court..

thank you so much for your reply.. I know everyone is different but you have made feel like there is some hope. 
    I do hope your mum continues being successfully treated. 
    many Thanks 

kajoa 

• I used to search the internet for Hope , there are many people continuing to do well despite a difficult diagnosis and many ahead of my mum ! 
    Treatment has improved too with more options .

Mum is just too frail for more treatments now but manage another ten months last year at 81 . I think that’s pretty powerful .

She is still out everyday with our help and just returned from a wee holiday .

Best foot forward. Mum used projects and goals whilst in treatment . Kept a hold of her own life and made sure she was still achieving.

It’s not always easy but it is doable . 
    We have so many good times since diagnosis.

Take special care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000