Pet scan for breast cancer found something on bowel

• 1 reply
  • 131 subscribers

Hi, 

im just wondering if anyone here has had any thing similar. I was diagnosed with Breast cancer in February this year. Ive had surgery and awaiting results. Following a pet scan, multiple foci uptake? Has been found on my large bowel.. my breast consultant doesnt think these are related. 

Surely I cudnt have 2 separate primary cancers? Ive had blood in my stools on & off for years. Im either constipated or loose. Never normal.. last week i had an appointment for a colonoscopy but unfortunately i cud not tolerate the pain . I’ve never felt pain like it & cudnt continue. Ive now a bowel ct scan next week to try & see what’s going on. 

my heads a mess with it all. Has anyone had anything similar? 

• Hello and sorry you find yourself in this crappy club. It is entirely possible to have 2 separate primaries as I found out to my surprise. Removal of a suspect bowel polyp and following CT scans revealed a nodule on my lung unrelated to the bowel.  As my colorectal surgeon put it - much better to be dealing with 2 small primaries than a cancer that has spread. It was a big shock at the time but 2 surgeries (one minor) and I’m on a 5 year surveillance path for both. No chemo. 

I was just lucky that they found the lung cancer at stage 1 when it was treatable. Without the investigations for the bowel it may well have continued under the radar for some time.

I had 2 really good teams who liaised and timed my care beautifully. It may sound scary but try not to imagine the worst.

All the best