Changing Hospitals

• 1 reply
  • 133 subscribers

Hi,

I've been undergoing chemotherapy for bowel cancer at a large hospital for 18 months now, but I am considering relocating to another part of the country to retire in a more rural area.   Has anyone else transferred to another hospital and how easy was this?   Did it affect treatment or even delay treatment?

Thanks 

• Robert 101,

After diagnosis, scans and an exploratory under general anaesthetic I moved after retirement from a large urban hospital in a densely populated area on the edge of Greater London to a rural location 100 miles away. The transition from one hospital to another was seamless (this was due to the kindness of the oncologists in the original and later locations) and the atmosphere in the second hospital was quite different, where the team seemed to be happier and under less pressure. The serious stuff started not long after the move and then followed a logical sequence. The buildings were less daunting and the parking less fraught. The resources available for cancer treatment were state of the art. Just driving to the new hospital - through the countryside - was a pleasant experience even though the round trip was forty miles as opposed to six. There was no delay. Friends told me that the move to a rural location put me in a much better frame of mind because the whole process was so relaxed. Looking back, they were right. Take the plunge and make the most of your new surroundings.

Dulac