Has anyone else experienced this?

• 13 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hesitating to post this as I think it’s something maybe doesn’t get discussed often, and it’s pretty yucky - only I can’t find anything online. 
My husband has terminal bowel cancer. With mets to lungs and lymph.

He has an ileostomy. 
Today there have been three episodes of almost black, foul-smelling stuff from his rectum. Quite a lot of it. He isn’t in any pain from this. But is generally weak. The nurse I spoke to didn’t seem surprised or unduly worried. 

Does anyone know anything/ can shed any light on what and why??

I've  just seen that I can post an image - but probably better not to (although I do have photos!)

• Hi  

Has your team indicated why it’s black ?

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hello. Thanks for asking. I hope I won’t be upsetting anyone in replying - obviously everyone’s cancer is different and just because this is what I know doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone.

From what I understand, my husband’s smelly black gunk(!) is called melena. And is an evolution of the disease. He had a blood transfusion a couple of days ago as his hemoglobin was low - possibly as a result of this hemorrhage.  And we have been told to expect more of the same. Whether he has more transfusions or not will be up to him to decide. 

• No. 18 months later, still have bowel problems. To compound problems, I'm now on oxygen 24/7