Anxiety

• 9 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Where to begin… I’m post op having had a bowel resection from a bowel cancer diagnosis.

My first week out of hospital was great. I was eating, going for short walks three times a day and generally in good spirits.

Week two took a turn and saw me bed ridden with diarrhoea and going nearly 15 times a day without warning and many of those not making it to the toilet in time. This continued in to week three and despite me contacting the colorectal nurses on numerous occasions the feedback I got was this was normal and try eating brown bread. At the end of week three I started to pass a large amount of blood and was admitted back to hospital and spent 2 nights before being diagnosed with colitis. I was sent home with a course on antibiotics and advised to see how those worked out.

For the week I took the medication the diarrhoea stopped and hard stools started again. Great, things were looking up until a few days later the diarrhoea returned again! I contacted the local GP who advised they need a stool sample for testing. I had someone collect the pot and return the sample same day. A sample was also taken to pathology at the local hospital on the same day.

A day or so later the hospital contacted me saying they had diagnosed C Diff from the sample. They explained that the medication for the colitis kiss off good and bad bacteria in the gut but it wasn’t powerful enough to kill c diff which was allowed to run riot with nothing else in the gut to keep it in check. Again I was put on medication which seems to have worked in most so far (having finished it 4 days ago now).

I have passed a bit of blood since and stools are 50/50 solid/loose.

My anxiety levels are through the roof at the moment. A lot the last 5 weeks I have spent in bed through fear of being away from a toilet. My legs are like weights when trying to move and I fear that I’m causing them more damage than good. I’m finding it hard to psychologically break away from leaving bed and being away from a toilet through fear of the diarrhoea hitting in public, I dread the idea of not being able to make it in time and returning to how it was in the first few weeks.

Any suggestions on how I can get over this?

• Hi  and I’m sorry to hear that you’re having such a rough time of it. If you click on my name then you’ll see that I had a couple of issues post op and you do start to get very disheartened so I’ll share my mantra of ‘This too shall pass’. It is still quite early days and the various medications will be playing havoc with your bowels which are probably still in diva mode from the op. The usual go to is loperamide but I think you would need to run this past your medical team so it doesn’t clash with anything else you might be on?

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/.../RegainingBowelControl_BowelCancerUK.pdf

I’ve attached a link to a booklet from the bowel cancer uk board - the muscle training exercises are worth a look at - I was told it is better to try and resist the immediate urge to go as you might not make it and practice holding it in until you’re nearer a toilet. From a practical point of view do you have a Macmillan ‘Cant wait’ card and also a disabled toilet key?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/bladder-cancer/using-public-toilets

It’s also a good idea to have a little emergency bag with you with wipes, underwear, pads, poo bags. You could buy some incontinence pads/ pants to tide you over the next couple of weeks until things have settled down. 

I know it’s embarrassing but at the same time you cannot stay in bed all day - your legs will start to lose strength, you will be at risk of blood clots and it won’t be good for your mental health either. Do you have a garden that you can walk round every hour or so or even just to the end of the road and back? 

Please keep talking to your team? I’m disappointed that they seem to think that brown bread is the answer but loperamide could definitely help and if you need any low residue diet ideas then just let me know?

Hope things start to improve for you soon

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Oh my lord, you have been through the wars...  My mum had this a few years back post -surgery- fine  on coming home and then NOT fine, although no infections were ever diagnosed. She had some weird nurse/GP advice too (eat lentils for protein?? what?? Like Karen, I'm surprised at the brown bread advice- that would destroy me even in "normal" times!). My mum's surgeon was just of the opinion that sometimes she'd need Movicol and other times loperamide and just to get used to that. She is 87 and also has  a bit of a narrow colon and diverticulitis, so probably harder to deal with  post-surgery effects.

However, she DID get some relief with probiotics- she went to her local pharmacy, with whom she has a great relationship due to being 87 and on all kinds of things!- and they advised some. Things really improved- she still gets some bad days but way way better than it was.  There have definitely been some studies which say that probiotics do help the disturbance from surgery and the disease.  The probiotics might be helpful as you've had a bit of a bashing from antibiotics too.  Again, run that past the team, but don't be put off if they just dismiss it, the only thing to check is if it would interfere with anything.  Food diary is also an obvious task, but could help! 

But as Karen says, early days and you've had a few complications to give your bowels even more reason to throw the diva strops.  

•   Can you remember the name of the probiotics by any chance? Trying to stop all the gurgling etc. without having to give up my beloved cups of tea which might be the next resort Cry x

• Oh yes, the gurgling!!! I have had  that all my life anyway!  currently listening to the symphonic variations..  I can't, but I'll ask her. You can't give up tea!!! NOOOOO. 

• Karen, the probiotics are Optibac- she started at one a day on the lowest strength (20 billion) and the pharmacist advised staying on for a month to settle and then go up if necessary- I think 75 billion was the highest.  Here's the link to the article about it too  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198246/ 

• That’s fab Thankyou  x

• Hi McLovin

Your story sounds exactly like mine. Came through operation absolutely fine, discharged after 4 days. Was given antibiotics for wound few days later. End up with terrible diarrhea which a doctor told me was because of the surgery I had, even though I was on toilet around 20 times a day. Was given Loperamide. Didn't help. I was getting worse and couldn't even sip water. Had blood and mucus and terrible painful pressure in my bum. My doctor suspected cdif so took sample and it was. Said antibiotics caused it. I was given vancomicin for cdif then I developed haematoma in belly from injections which was infected so more antibiotics. Cdif cleared up and I was fine for couple weeks then I felt the symptoms coming back so was then given Fidaxomicin. Finish those tonight. They also tested this sample for ecoli, salmonella and something else but was clear so hopefully after this course I can start to recover better. I'm now 8 weeks post op. Hope you feel better soon. I was also stuck in bed as I was so drained.

Binzy

• I feel your pain on all the above, being bed ridden is the worst. I hope things clear up for you and you can start to live “normally” again.

• Hi Mclovin,  I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this. I fully understand the Anxiety. I am over 12 months post op and still have moments of panic and accidents at the most inappropriate times. (One in the middle of a meeting at work) I was mortified.  However these instances have made me a stronger person. I am just grateful to have survived my cancer journey. 

I have a permanent Stoma, which helps with some element of control.  Is this something that your consultant would consider die to your extreme symptoms?

Good luck and remember to keep talking 

ECG