Liver met

• 9 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Hi

I haven't posted for a while, but has anyone had a similar experiences??

Liver resection March 2023 - all fine, segment 7 resected. Chemo had made smaller met on segment 8 dissappear

Aug 23 liver met discovered on segment 8 - sent for ablation Oct 23. They did extra scan at 2 in the morning.  The following afternoon, just before planned procedure, I was told to go home as the met had grown and there was also a tiny patch on segment 4 - hence: chemo required.

Given chemo Nov. 23 to Jan. 2024. January scans show patch on segment 4 has gone and met on segment 8 is reduced and ready for ablation.

Hence - travelled up to hospital yesterday evening, ready for ablation this morning. Now been told I must have a ct scan directly before planned ablation, which is now at 1.30 today.

I just hope they don't send me home again without doing the procedure!! Do you think there's still enough chemo in me to have kept the remains of the met small??

Any response welcome

• Hi  

Mum always got a last minute scan . The team like them in theatre for reference at times apparently.

One thing for sure you are a top responder getting them off the screen with chemo only trouble is finding them to remove when you respond so well according to my mum’s team but a good problem to have 

Let us know when you are safely through .

Court x 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court and anyone reading this.

Yay - Ablation carried out yesterday. They are happy with me and sending me home today. Have to return for a scan in 6 weeks.

Best wishes to everyone.

Nettie 123

• Brilliant news  . So , so pleased to read this .

You are built of steel for sure .

Now home for some spoiling and serious amounts of quality living .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Well, it's nearly a week since the ablation and I feel fine.

Futuristically I'm aware that the dissappearing met on segment 4 is likely to return. This is a shame as the spread, from segment 8 to segment 4 and subsequent chemo, could have been avoided if treatment wasn't delayed - not the fault of the wonderful NHS drs and nurses I hasten to add!!

Idea:

I'm wondering whether to take some capital, from my house and put it to one side, in case the segment 4 met returns and there are delays again, then I could try to pay privately. I'm wondering if this would break the 'chain' in terms of it spreading more. 

?

Part of me says yes, good idea, but a much bigger part of me says 'trust thd NHS' it's the best!!

Sorry this is so long. Ideas, response and opinions welcomed.

Thanks guys

Best wishes and hugs to all.

Nettie 123

• Hi  and it’s good to hear that you’re recovering well. I think you would need to think carefully about taking some equity from your house and maybe take financial advice or even give the support desk a ring? From what I’ve read - and this is just my opinion - 

There can be high set up fees - possibly several thousand

Having the money sat in an account ‘just in case’ may affect any means tested benefits that you claim

The interest accruing may be quite substantial and there may be early repayment charges if you decide that you don’t need the money at a later date.

This is just my thoughts and there’s nothing to stop you looking into it to consider at a later date if necessary but hopefully that will not be the case?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  

I am with  . Plus I think you could ask for a second opinion from a centre of excellence for the liver . See what another surgeon would do .

There are around seven centres of excellence . .   had a private consultation if I remember right but then went back on the nhs books so it does not necessarily mean you have to have the surgery there .

My only caution . Find out who is best to consult with . Far enough away to be independent and not their friend as one poster recently encountered.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Karen

Many thanks for your valuable advice. Yes, there would be several possible issues to consider and at the end of day I guess it makes more sense to trust my luck to the NHS - there have been delays, but ultimately I'm still here and feeling fine!

Very best wishes

Nettie x

• Hi Court

Thank you for your response  I hadn't thought about a Centre of Excellence re: 'second opinion'.  Very valid point re: it needing to be a suitable distance apart, to ensure there are not friendship links to my consultant.

Certainly a more logical option to consider! Thank you.

When we were trying to find out what was wrong with my husband, a few years ago, in desperatiin I booked a consultation, with a private neurologist - over a hundred miles away. Worth every penny! He was diagnosed as having Parkinsins Disease, went back to the NHS and has enjoyed excellent care and treatment since.

Best wishes

Nettie x

• Hi  

I agree with  and  .

When my local hospital said no to surgery, I requested a second opinion.  My Onc approached Mr Rees in Basingstoke (NHS). While I waited for him to review my case I sought a private consultation with Mr Lodge in Leeds, it was very easy to do I just contacted his secretary and they requested all the scans, etc from my onc and within 2 weeks I had a zoom call with him.  He said he would operate if I was unable to have it done on the NHS.  

Thankfully Basingstoke agreed to operate, this was over 2 years ago and my scans still get sent there for review.

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of second opinions!!