How should I feel

• 8 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Today has been the hardest day since I was diagnosed and I don’t understand why 

February last year I was diagnoses with colon cancer. I had surgery to remove a 7.5cm tumour, temporary stoma in place to help heal the bowel.in May, then chemotherapy for 3 months from august to November 

im back in work now and trying to return to normal but today I’m struggling 

anyone else experiencing this 

• Hi NickyP

So sorry to hear that you’re struggling.

I like you managed my diagnosis and operation with a stoma from August until Christmas. Then I felt as though I was in a dark tunnel, I phoned my GP and had support also MacMillan arranged some CBT counselling 

Take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Artsie 

can I ask what your GP advised please 

• Of course

My GP gave me some medication and support  He also was available for phone consultations  I was very lucky that I managed to talk to the right doctor as my surgery has joined a larger group and my original doctor is hard to contact 

I asked for help as I knew I really needed a lift. 
    My diet was not healthy my Ileostomy meant low fibre. Serotonin gave me the boost I needed. 

Im still on if but will be weaning myself off this spring 

I hope you feel better soon 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi  Yes I think we can all relate to that. I think you feel almost in a little cancer bubble while going through treatment and there is always a visit to the hospital in the not too distant future where you can mention any issues to someone or just feel like you’re being checked over? Once treatment finishes you’re sent on your merry way and suddenly that’s it. You feel that life should go back to normal, people stop asking how you are and it’s assumed that you’re ‘better’ now.

Some hospitals do a Moving on from Cancer session so you could ask your colorectal support nurse if there’s anything like that near you! There is also 6 free counselling sessions with BUPA which you could ring the support desk to discuss if you feel that would help? A lot of people have also found the paper below really helpful 

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Please be kind to yourself and have a chat to your manager/HR if you feel work is too much - hopefully you’ve gone back on a phased return and not straight into full-time? Lastly there’s some great posts on this board that you might like to look at and see that it’s not uncommon to feel like you are doing. 

Life after cancer forum 

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Artsie I just wanted to say thank you for your advice

im Having counselling which macmillan arranged and it’s made so much difference 

thank you and I hope you’re well Heart️ 

• Hi NickyP

yep - i found out I had bowel cancer that had spread to liver back in June last year . After numerous scans then radiotherapy, then chemo from September to November , followed by bowel resection just before Christmas and then liver resection to remove all visible tumours 3 weeks ago , I’m not afraid to say I had a wee break down when I got home . I think it was the fact that I hadn’t really had time to process what was going on as I was always concentrating on the next hurdle or the closest crocodile to the canoe and then when I was finished it hit me - what the bloody hell happened over the last 9 months ! It was a big wave of emotion that just got me ! 

Jim 

• Jim it’s the most surreal experience I’ve ever had so far..

thank you and I hope you’re getting through, keep smiling Blush 

• Hi NickyP

Thanks for your update. I’m delighted that you’re having support. It makes all the difference, sharing does half the issue if there’s a good pair of ears to share with 

Take care 

Ann x

Ann
     ‍Art