MRI

• 8 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Hi I’m looking to see if anyone has any knowledge of MRI  claustrophobia. My first mri was July last year and fine no problem but then I went for another and took a panic attack,the next one I done on my front and managed but yesterday I only managed about 10 min on my front and had to get off the thing .. I’m so stressed now .. I have bowel cancer and have had 5 weeks Monday to Friday chemotherapy and radiotherapy.. I literally am distrot … I took diazepam it made no difference I’m actually taking diazepam today to help me relax .. I have a CT next week and oncology appointment th 12 February..what happens if I can’t do theses tests? Anyone had or heard of anyone else as stupid as me ? 

Thanks for any help in advance x T

• Hi Terimacs

A lot of people struggle with an MRI scan and can get the feeling of claustrophobia. You are not alone.

I personally find all scans can induce panicky feelings. The thing I found most helpful was to get the person doing the scan to talk me through it as it was happening. I know you have tried diazepam but maybe it could be a thing to speak to the doctors about, whether you could get a higher dose or another type of sedative. 

I do understand as I felt claustrophobic even with CT scans and they are much more open. During my radiotherapy treatments I also felt panicky- with these the machine travels around you but does come close. 

One thing to ask about is whether there is a seated or open MRI scanner near you. With these you can sit, lie or even stand in some circumstances and you are not enclosed by the machine. It might be more manageable. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• You not stupid!! I also feel quite claustrophobic but so far have managed to talk myself down by keeping my eyes tight shut and picturing a happy place.  I'm sure you have tried all this!!  Maybe a bigger dose of meds??? Big hugs and you defo not alone!!! 

• Thanks .. keeping my eyes closed did work for the 10 min or so but then the panic got too much ..

yes I definitely need to try talk to someone but I truly fear I just can’t do it now ..

• Thanks for replying x yes I at times also struggled with the radiotherapy and took diazepam to help with it .. I’m just getting so stressed that I’ll not manage mri again and I know it’s important.. 

I will need to as about alternative machines but I don’t think they have any in Glasgow.

• Hi  I found the CT scans to be a lot more manageable than the MRI. Your head is always in the open and, although the machine moves you backwards and forwards, you are always able to see the ceiling. I think I only ever had 2 MRIs during my treatment and both were  early on and it was always CT scans after that. Scans are an essential part of your treatment and they will be checking to see how effective your chemoradiotherapy has been. Going forward perhaps you could discuss this with your oncologist and see if the scans could be kept to a minimum and have a CT wherever possible?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks Karen I pray no more will be required and I’ll definitely chat to oncology about it x 

I am just thinking I surly can’t be the only person to have this problem.. 

hope your ok x 

• Hi  

You are absolutely not alone.

The first time I had an MRI I lasted about 90 seconds before they had to get me out of there.

Went back for another go, but brought my husband with me. He came in and held firmly onto my ankle so I knew l wasn't alone and that he would pull me out of there if I reacted badly. That worked for me.

I don't know if I could ever go back for another MRI.

Hugs,

Angela

• Thanks going today so hopefully they’ll let my husband in x