Enlarged lymph nodes not cancerous?

• 12 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi everyone.

So the MDT have has their meeting about me, my colorectal nurse called to inform me my MRI also came back clear (yay), however one thing that concerned me is they did notice 2 slightly enlarged lymph nodes on the MRI, however the radiologists aren’t concerned about this and the size does not suggest cancer.

They’re going ahead with the TEMs procedure (minimally invasive surgery), this was booked in for the 2nd as the surgeon is on AL but they are going to try and bring this forward (26th august)

I also asked if they can give me any indication of the staging of the tumour so far - this is where it gets a bit confusing. She said well we can’t actually do this yet as we haven’t found a cancer (!?!), there have been high grade dysplasia, low grade dysplasia and normal cells found from the biopsy’s from the polyp. This was news to me as I was told I have bowel cancer. The nurse advised obviously we can’t say 100% until we take the full polyp out and remove it.

I am suffering a bit with a yeast infection which started to come on slowly and yesterday became noticeable so I ordered some treatment, sorry TMI - I do also suffer with recurrent yeast infections and have had them many times) could this be a reason for the swollen lymph nodes? The MDT do not think this is a cause for concern and the nurse said that they could just be my lymph nodes as that was my first MRI. Does anyone know reasons why the lymph nodes would be enlarged in that area without it being cancer?

I am in two minds about this. On one hand this is really good news, however the lymph node thing has concerned me!

• I’ve just had my one year scan which was clear and waiting on colonscopy but hoping that will be fine. My surgeon had a look at what he could in my reversal and he said it was clear!

• Dear Leighsp, 

Thanks for your reply. My surgeon has repeatedly said that he would not perform the TEMS proceedure if there was any sign of cancer as it was more likely than not to return with a vengeance and be incurable. I have to trusting his expertise and pray that I have made the right decision. These decisions are so difficult. I'm really pleased that you are cancer free and hope that you continue to recover. 

Kindest regards, Gosh