Op to remove all my rectum

• 54 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hi, firstly I thank everybody who has supported me through this period of not knowing what to expect, after being seen by the Manchester consultant, who told me before the sigmoidoscopy that he wouldn't be able to to the op locally in a TEMS procedure,  I'm now back to my local hospital and the consultant I first saw, Chris Smart. I have to say he's gone out of his way to let me know what's going on, and the colorectal nurses at my local hospital are superb. I now know I need to have a big op, as of yet I don't know what it's called, I see thw consultant next week, when I also have mu pre op. I know its in through the stomach to remove all of my rectum, my tumor is low down, only 4cms into my bottom. Which apparently is not so good as they're not sure if there will be enough left to be able to attach the ends, if that makes sense, and reverse the stoma, theres also a node that's got to be taken too, I trust him that he will do his best, and there's a 40% chance of it being permanent. I've had a hysterectomy that I flew through. SarahH21 says it's probably not like the hysterectomy recovery. Thank you Sarah, I'm sure many of you have had some sort of procedure that's similar, my tumor is T2a N1. I'd like to know other people's recovery, any problems that you've had, as I say, I'm a newbie and I don't know the name of the op, but I'm just glad that I now have a treatment plan, the waiting was horrible. If anyone can give me any help with recovery, ways to help with pain or your experiences. I'm also dealing with a back spasm now, my kitten decided to trip me up, but a couple of days rest will sort that.I am already on fentanyl patches, 100mcg/hour, with tramadol for breakthrough, and amitriptylene at night, with diazepam to help muscles relax and help me sleep. I can't take gabapentin or pregabalin, they send me weird, I thought I'd been asleep one afternoon, and apparently I had been out in the rain, in slippers and nightshirt digging the garden and trying to get in the car to post a letter, I was glad that Steve was there to stop me. Who knows what I'd have done if I'd been alone!!! Anyway, I'm waffling, I do that a lot!! If anyone can help with their experience of the op both straight after the op and then recovery at home, and any hints to make it easier I'd be very grateful. Everyone has been so nice on here, amd propped me up when I was slipping. My island is now no longer getting smaller and I'm now floating instead of sinking  Thank you, sorry for waffling.  Rosie

• Hi H78

I had LAR I was borderline and have an Ileostomy. Had the full keyhole and incision and didn’t recover as quickly as you. You’re so right it an individual thing 

Live toh name Suzie. Mines called Whoopi and she may be a keeper. They’re life savers aren’t they? 
    I downloaded apps too. They did help. The cancer one was expensive though so be careful 

Lively to hear your positive experience. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Artsie,

Whoopi, love it! And yes, it is so amazing what they can do these days!

Wearing a bag is not as difficult as I thought it would be. Lots of people out there with good blogs and tips on clothing etc. I’ve just discovered some pretty cheap gym shorts from next which make everything feel so secure. My go to now with a nice floaty summer dress over the top :) I was a big skinny jean person before and reckon they’ll be ok too once swelling gone down a little on my bottom. It’s not quite up to Barbie standards yet, lol

Ah yes, should have mentioned headspace isn’t free. I have an annual subscription which is £49.99 and actually got into through covid lockdown as I was getting overwhelmed with work. I thought meditation was a bit mumbo jumbo before but it actually really works for me.

Hx

• Hi

I had an APR in february 2021. I made sure that I was as fit as i could be before the op. Lots of cardio vascular exercise and core strength too. I approached the op in a positive mood as the alternative was not worth thinking about and even named my stoma beforehand (Eddie Stomart). I always knew mine would be permanent as one of the two tumours was close to the exit.

My advice to all would be to adopt a positive outlook,  embrace what may be permanent,  and be under no illusions about the recovery. This is major surgery,  with a lengthy recovery and a need for painkillers and care. Dont ne too proud to ask for help.

I have recovered very well,  my life is good,  i feel remarkably fit and strong and have learned bery easily to live with Eddie.

You will survive,  even if life changes for you. My prayers are sent to give you strength to adapt and adopt.

Richard (Eddie Stomart)  MusclePrayThumbsup

• H78

You are doing really well. I wear shift dresses too but I did preop as I I carried a lot of fluid my tum was really swollen. Close to blocking.
    A year on I’ve dropped over a stone and fit in skinny jeans so you have plenty if time. 
    Keep going 

My Whoopi is my icon. If you ever want one for Suzie let me know. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Eddiestomart, thanks for your reply, its a big help hearing other people's experience, mu tumor is low down too, only 4cms into my bum, so my stoma may be permanent, and I don't mind that, at least I won't have something eating uts way through me, I just want it out. I love a bath, I like it hot, and I'm in there for at least an hour, others half says when I get out its still too hot for him! I 2ondered if I could still enjoy ny bath with a stoma, I shall be using the shower at first, but do you have a soak, does the stoma still stick? Weird questions I know, but my heads full of weird questions, and everyone's is so nice on here, I'm supposed to be seeing consultant this week for all details of the op and my pre op assessment, haven't heard anything yet, but I can chase them up later. Rosie 

• That’s not a weird question. Its the perfect thought. I was the same. Do you know I saw on the news a woman swam the Channel with a stoma. So you’re fine in water. I’m not sure if extreme heat will be okay for a newly formed stoma so that’s definitely one for your nurses. I had a thermometer to take the temperature of the water for my son as he had a spinal injury and had altered sensation. It worked a treat. You could always get one of those to see what temperature you like now. 
    Any questions like that pop up. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi MissTee.

I had APR surgery in July 2019. I knew my stoma was going to be permanent beforehand. I found I got used to it quite quickly. I also like a long soak in the bath. It's fine to do that. You can have a bath with or without a pouch on. I always change mine straight after, although you can pat them dry with a towel. I find it can still make your pants a bit damp. The hot water doesn't affect the stickability of the pouch at all though. While it's nice to have a bath without a pouch on, stomas are unpredictable and can become active at the most inopportune moment! Better to enjoy your well earned soak than have to rush it in case of a mishap.

Take care 

Kim x

Blackstuff
  • I have my bath really hot, its hot when I get in, and then I keep adding more hot water until its even hotter, then I soak for at least an hour, I have my kindle, a drink and I'm happy as Larry. I remember when I was 7 I was admitted to hospital, stomach problems I think, it was a king time ago, but back then they had baths, with the temp written as cool, warm, hot, too hot, too hot was good for me, I remember I didn't eat for a week, so when they brought the evening meal I'd disappear for a bath, I'm sure ill be fine. The colorectal nurse just rang, my consultants going to ring tomorrow and discuss the op.  So I have a list of questions, thay keeps getting longer. I'll keep everyone updated. Xx

• Thank you Blackstuff, great news, I'm OK to have my long bath!! Apparently  I have 40% of stoma being permanent, if it's permanent,  I'll cope. Thansk for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.  Rosie xx

• Good luck with your phone consultation.
    I’ll be thinking of you. 
    You can stay in your bath as long as you like. The pouch will stay put. I like to put a nice clean pouch on after. Keeping all my bath products away from my stoma. Whoopi would not like a bath bomb. She may  Poonamie me. So she’s locked in. I don’t shower without my pouch either as I like strong shower gel. She likes fresh water. Ha ha

Ann
     ‍Art