New to forum- my mum has had 2 cancers, Ovarian and goblet cell. Really worried about her appt tomorrow…

• 2 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi all, this is the first time I have visited this particular forum. My mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year (feb 2021) stage 3c, had 3 rounds of chemo, major debulk, another 3 rounds, but we also got the news following the debulk that pathology had found she also had a separate rare appendix cancer (goblet cell) going on at the same time.. still can’t believe it.

She has now been in targeted therapy for a year (as she is HRD gene positive), had a clear pelvic scan only 3 weeks ago, but around 2 weeks ago started with wind like pains at night time, and she was randomly sick one evening. We contacted The Christie who got her in, the CT showed some recurrence on the bowel. She is being called in to St Mary’s tomorrow to see the consultant who did her debulk. I took it initially as promising news and she was told by a nurse that it’d likely be surgery again but they aren’t sure how to proceed yet… then we’ve also been briefly told it needs further investigation.. Certainly not a straight forward case…

I’m absolutely petrified about Friday. McMillan suggested I go to the appointment too to take all the info in and to support my dad (as he struggles) but I think I’ve taken that in my head as ‘go as there’s going to be tough news’.

I also wonder if they’ll suggest more radical surgery (with HIPEC this time perhaps?) which I honestly don’t know if she’d go through with. I know a few people on here have had this surgery and are doing well now? She has to take the chance if it’s available… surely..

Anyway sorry for the waffling post, just had to write something somewhere. Laura xxx

• Welcome ,

So sorry to hear about your mum . I do that too . Fear makes us go to the worst possible outcome and feeds our poor brains . But to be fair this is tough and we are not over reacting it’s just hard to see the other possibility. 
    m The surgeon clearly wants to talk through possibilities. My mum actually always had chemotherapy first for her recurrence apart from her lung . 
    This can actually give better surgical margins but a bit frustrating in terms of waiting for outcomes . 
    Hipec has been a game changer for some people but certainly not all people with a bowel recurrence require . It does depend on the location . I guess having two primaries at once they might want to know which primary has recurred .

I hang on to what people say and my husband has to point out the other options . 
    This is a tough process , we are here to support you .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court, thank you so much for your reply. Just sat here this morning trying to keep it together, with my 4 year old running around like a loon..! 
    Yes I think you’re right, they’ll want to establish if the recurrence is the OC or appendix. 
    i know.. it’s hard to not let our brains go to the terrible scenarios isn’t it. I just find it so difficult. But I’m trying to stay as positive as I can. It’s hard trying to keep everyone ok.. I worry about my dad too.. married since they were 17 and 19. He doesn’t cope well xx