Post Sugery - is this normal?

• 1 reply
  • 133 subscribers

Hi, I’m 10 weeks post surgery  for a bowel resection and I have recently passed mucas. I don’t have a stoma and whilst my bowels have been a little unsettled nothing unusual and no other symptoms or signs of concern.  This has so far only happened a couple of times and normally not too long after a bowel movement. I’m just wondering if this is normal? 

• Hey, you should definitely feel able to ask your nurse and tell them  about it, as it can be a sign of an infection but normally with other symptoms like a temperature. The problem post resection is that it’s not quite the same as things were before (looser stools, mucus and a bit of pain here and there as things heal and scar) and all those things are symptoms of problems. You’re really early on and it can take months for things to settle. I think what’s important is working out what’s normal for you now and then flagging up with your healthcare team if anything changes from that - don’t be afraid to get in touch with them as they’re used to it and can assure you or suggest when you go in for a check.