Capecitabane tablets dosage

• 6 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi everyone, my husband has been recently diagnosed with bowel cancer stage 3 after 5 years of being cancer free from hodgkins lymphoma. It has been 3 days and the dosage of these capecitibane has knocked him for six. He is so tired all of the time, nauseous and sleeps for most part of the day. He takes 4 500mg tabs in the day and 4 500mg in the evening. A total of 2000mg in the morning and 2000mg in the evening. Is this right? I feel so bad giving them to him, he has another 11 days to go of this and this is his first cycle. The guilt I feel, knowing this is going to make him feel awful for the next weeks is terrible. Can the dosage be reduced? 

• He should have been armed with anti nauseous pills - to deal with that side effect.

The initial dosage is determined on height & weight - & yes, can be reduced - if the side effects are too difficult to manage. Nausea & tiredness are common side effects, though I was fortunate not to suffer from them. However, my dosage was lots lower at 1700mg per day.

Your husband would have been issued with a red card, giving a phone number - that you can use 24hrs; not just for emergencies, the person manning the phone can give straightforward advice on your chemo. treatment.

He's very early days into the treatment; perhaps his body needs time to adjust - but initially, best to take anti nausea pills now.

Best wishes

Marianne

• Thank you Marianne, I just feel like it's only day 3 and he is feeling so bad, how can he continue with another 11 days of it. Will he get worse or will the symptoms stabilise? We just can't see an end in sight! I don't want him to give up. How do people carry on with daily things? How can I leave him to go to work? 
  • I think for your own peace of mind - it would be best if you rang the 'alert card' number you've been given, or alternatively ring the Macmillan number on this site, & speak to someone who can give you expert advice.

Best wishes

Marianne

• 2000mg twice a day is an average dose especially for a male.   You can read my profile.  I couldn’t get on with the tablets. Even vomiting after using ondansetron etc. gave up at day 4. Or 5  …..And went o to a different regime and it was sooooo much better ( LV and 5FU). I still can’t believe the difference it made to change from the tabs to I/V 

be prepared to discuss options with your Onc 

• Thanks Marianne26. I have called the acute oncology line and no one can give me a straight answer. Looks like I may have to wait until our next appointment with the oncologist. I will also speak to a macmillan adviser. Thank you very much!

• Thank you Parky 2170, this is so helpful. My husbands first chemo 5 years ago, was all an infusion and he then had 2 weeks to recover at home. This time it seems like it's never ending and I can't imagine 2 weeks of chemo tabs, grinding him down. I understand chemo is no walk in the park, but to see the look of terror I'm his eyes every time I need to administer the drugs is absolutely horrific for me. I will speak to his oncologist ASAP. Thanks again!