extraordinary messing around and runabout

• 4 replies
  • 134 subscribers

I am getting a great deal of runaround and false promises and being passed from pillar to post by the  bowel cancer screening programme, and my GP's surgery regarded cancer screening tests.  I was  contacted by post by the bowel cancer screening programme with the NHS - wanting to test me - I disposed of the test equipment sent and pointed out to them that I have already had bowel cancer so I didn’t feel the test was for me but they insisted both that I should proceed with the test, with intent to send me a fresh kit and also said they seem uncertain as to whether to proceed with screening or not - they were asking me lots of questions about the kind of surgery I had and if I have a colostomy or ileostomy bag - as I wasn’t sure what the right answers wrere for them they said they would contact my doctor about it and I was happy to leave it to them but now in complete contradiction to that promise  they’ve phoned me to ask me to ask my doctor about it myself even though they should be able to access my records for themselves - 

After debating whether to just decline taking the tests as I still fear they might conflict with ongoing post surgery care, I spoke with other stoma patients who advised me to persevere.  I phoned my GP, on a phone number that is not a freephone service like the 0800 screening programme number. .

If course, as expected I never got through to my doctors, only to a secretary who told me initially that she would get my doctor to prepare a written statement of the information I need for me to collect by 6pm from the surgery. Then she immediately went into the contradict that promising approach tactic too (so similar to that the screening test team played too) and insisted I e-mail the surgery with my request, to get a reply direct to my inbox.  I sent the request and surprise surprise no reply whatsoever by the 6pm deadline. No doubt had I headed to the surgery it would have been a further waste of my time chasing false hopes and promises. 

All I want is 1/. a statement of whether my stoma is a colostomy or ileostomy bag 2/.  Whether I should take this screening test on top of my ongoing treatments and procedures. 3/. If yes,  then for the appropriate kit to be sent to me with all due instructions for its use. 

The extent of the messing around, evasiveness and teasing promises of imminent green lighting that information only for them to qickly scrub the assurances, to a patient already suffering high anxiety and depression is totally inappropriate and insensitive.  Can you please help me get these simple straight answers from both my GP and the Screening people.  

The e-mail  sent to the surgery on direct advise from their phone secretary.  Phoned the surgery this morning, receptionist initially invited me to come in but then changed her mind and asked me to e-mail this request. 

Contacted by the bowel cancer screening programme with the NHS - wanting to test me - pointed out to them that I have already had bowel cancer (in 2020, leading to surgery on December 2nd and 6th 2020)  they seem uncertain as to whether to proceed with screening or not - they were asking me lots of questions about the kind of surgery I had and if I have a colostomy or ileostomy bag - as I wasn’t sure in he end which I have they said they’d contact my doctors about it but then changed their minds (getting a lot of that lately) and now they’ve phoned me to ask me to ask my doctor about it - could somebody tell me what exactly I have had done and whether or not to have their tests on top of the treatments and consultations? - really finding chasing round over a simple request quite distressing

I need a/. written confirmation of just what I have had done, especially if it is a colostomy or ileostomy bag I'm wearing, (even the stoma boxes don't state this), and b/. advise on whether or not the screening test will conflict with any other treatments and consultations going on for the cancer I already had. 

I was told when expected to pop in that the information would reach me before 6pm, so I hope the e-mail information can also reach me before this evening too.  Getting very distressed by everyone passing me on to someone else for access to what seem quite straight forward questions here. 

• hi Forester42- an illiostomy would be on your right side and a colostomy  on your left. I feel you've been treated disgracefully. - especially with the extreme anxiety and depression you're suffering. I hope they get their act together soon.

Kath
    "don't think about tomorrow"

• Hi . I was invited for my first bowel cancer screening test during my treatment. I mentioned it to my surgeon who told me not to worry about it as they would be checking me over the next few years. I rang the screening place, told them I had had Bowel cancer and was being monitored but would appreciate remaining in the system and receiving future tests going forward

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • , I got a 2yr bowel screening kit 2yrs ish after the diagnosis /operation/chemo. Their letter did state that they knew the last one had flagged something up, but to still do the test. 

• Sent an e-mail in to the GP surgery on Friday evening to complain about the shoddy service and deceptive promises, got a reply late Monday afternoon requesting I phone in for a phone appointment with a GP to discuss my e-mail.  Phoned Tuesday morning to be put on hold in a queue of six, which got down to one, held there for an eternity and the instant my turn came through someone physically picked the phone up and slammed it down again in the cradle. (Second time I've faced that) Had to ring back to go through it all again.  Finally got through to another secretary who aggressively demanded to know why I needed to talk to a doctor, even when I told them it was the doctors requesting to see me. She then accessed my original e-mail and told me she could book me in for an appointment on the 23rd August, three weeks away.  When I expressed disappointment she told me I can request an appointment sooner by going to the surgery in person at 1pm, though she was unwilling to simply process such a request immediately to save me the trip or fob me off with a three week wait  She accused me of being patronizing for daring to be frustrated by the extraordinary level of jerking around I am facing. 

POSTSCRIPT - Went to the surgery, expecting to see a GP at last, planned to go to the library afterwards - told the GP will now phone me between 3.30pm and 5pm today so my trip to the surgery was a complete waste of my time and this could have been arranged when I phoned this morning instead of subjecting me to further needless nonsense - Library shut tomorrow so can't do that now till Thursday.