Called For A Colonoscopy.

• 7 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hi, I am 60 yrs old, very fit and recently took a bowel screening test. I received a letter for a colonoscopy, which I am having in a weeks time.

I am still working and my company provides a very comprehensive annual health assessment, which includes a stool test. Up until Covid (2020) these tests have been clear, so I am am really surprised. I have not lost any weight, I am not feeling fatigued and apart from the odd bad stomach reaction to spicy foods, I have no other issues.

My mind has been doing overtime, but my wife who come from a medical background has re-assured me that there are other symptoms that can cause blood to appear in stools. I have sort of lost my mind thinking about bad outcomes - is that natural?

• Yes it's normal, I too found out through a stool test that I needed a colonoscopy,  I too worried, and wondered what was going on, but I had lost weight, and had bowel symptoms, my result was cancer, but your wife is right, my hubby had a colonoscopy for passing blood, but he was diagnosed with diverticulitis. He also had a polyp that they removed. I was one of 7 people having a colonoscopy that day, and I was the only person diagnosed. It's natural to worry, but it could be a whole lot of things, and not cancer. I'm 54, wasn't expecting cancer diagnosis,  but there's so many treatments that they can do now, but don't worry about worrying, and talking to people helps, when I was waiting for confirmation of the biopsies,  I wanted to read all I could about colon cancer, some people put their head in the sand, everyone is different, but there's no "one" way to react, were all different. I wish you all all best and hope you get a good outcome.

• Hi, , I think it is only about 10% of colonoscopy tests that are cancer, the rest are due to other conditions. So take the colonoscopy and try not to worry! Much easier to say than do. Also there are a lot of people, me included, that don't have any real symptoms beforehand either. But fingers crossed you are ok. And if not, it will have been caught very early by the sound of it. Any questions you may have, just ask on here. Take care.

• Hi Samcon

Try not to worry. it’s good to get things checked out 

My husband had the same. He had polyps that were removed with no cancer found.

Ann
     ‍Art

• I too did a FIT test thru the mail. 2yrs ago was clear. Sure enough a positive result last sept and colonoscopy ( that I put  off for 5 weeks !) confirmed cancer.  I had no symptoms etc. 
    had surgery and chemo 9mo on waiting for my ct scan next Friday. 
    it will be what it will be you can’t change the outcome. Just go thru the motions ( hehe) and see where the journey takes you. 
    mad everyone says ( and I told myself 9/10 positives are not cancer. But some of us our that bloody 1/10 !! 
    hopefully you are the 9/10 

• Hi MissTee-my colonoscopy was yesterday and they found cancer. I’m in complete shock. I have introduced myself on the new members page and have had some terrific messages back. 

• Hi Samcon

i am 68 years old and took a bowl screening test which came back positive.  Like you had no symptoms apart for a couple of days a spot of  blood on toilet paper and had an all clear screening in 2020.  I had a week later a colonoscopy and biopsies taken . A week later it was confirmed I had cancer. Surprise for me too . Please take the colonoscopy then you will no for sure. 

hope all goes well for you

• Hi Samcon I know how you feel, I too was in shock, I was told I had 2 tumors,  a 2nd colonsoscopy a couple of weeks later showed I have 1, but that threw a spanner in the works as it was initially supposed to be 4 inches into the rectum, but its 4cm into my bottom, I'm in limbo waiting to hear from Manchester. I went from knowing I was having an op at the end of August, to knowing nothing, my consultants on holiday til next week, so unless I hear from Manchester I don't know what's happening,or what will happen if Manchester say they can't do the op "locally " ie from ny bottom. I know uts a shock, shook me up too, though I had lost weight and passed blood, not once did cancer cross my mind, the report I got after my colonoscopy said probably cancer for one tumor, and cancer for the other, and I knew it was serious as the Dr didn't come to tell me anything when I was recovering from the procedure, he popped into everyone else and said they had nothing to worry about, but not me, then when Steve came to pick me up, the nurse said she would grab him, and I was to wait in a small room, even then cancer didn't cross my mind, only when she started explaining did I realise its bad, me, even now its not sunk in. I know nothing about cancer, nothing, I didn't know what the name of the cancer I had until last week, it's the one 90% of bowel cancer tumors, adenocarcinoma, I think in a way that's good, as that means there's more treatment for that type, at least I hope so. I have a 35mm tumor. I got a copy of my consultants letter to my gp, in ut he's put that the oncologists have said it may respond to chemo amd radiotherapy,  but that wasn't mentioned to me, just the 2 ops. It's normal to feel terrified, or resolute, I've had to be the strong one for both my main supporters, my sister and my hubby, they've taken it badly, Steve told the consultant he was terrified, my sister is a hyperchondriac anyway and she thought she could get it, but they both think I've taken things well, they don't see me when I break down, which has only been in the last week, I just had a minor one when th exercise nurse rang me, she was a bit shocked I'd heard nothing for 2 weeks from Manchester, I know it's summer holiday time, but surely they can't all go away at the same time! She's gonna chase up my colorectal nurses see if they've heard anything.  I don't like to bother them, they have a lot of people to deal with who are either worse than I am, or some who have just been diagnosed.  Steve says to keep pecking, as " he who shouts the loudest is dealt with quicker" but I'm a people pleaser, and have worked within health care, so I know the stresses and strains the nurses are under. 

Its a big shock,  you need to take time to deal with it in your own way, there's no right or wrong way to feel, and use your support network, I'm 54, I have had a tattoo of the colon cancer ribbon, with the words "this too shall pass" in white underneath, and when I'm 5 years free, I will have survived above the ribbon. My sister had a lavender ribbon, which is the colour for supporters, it's dark blue for colon cancer. I know people either love or hate tattoos, I have a couple, or so, but they can all be covered with a cardigan, I was brought up by my great aunt, weekends and school holidays I was with her, and she and her best friend, Joan, who I still take out each Wednesday for a drive in the countryside,  were more parental than my parents, who should never have had kids, not in my opinion!!! My aunt always said "This too shall pass" whenever I fell over and hurt myself, or if I was worried about something, or when my 1st marriage broke up. So it's just my way of focusing on the positive. We all take the news differently, and there is so much more treatment around nowadays, it's not such a bad outlook, and the people who are on here are wonderful, shouts to Court and Pattyk, they've helped me a lot, and lots of others too, but Pattyk has been great, she's supporting her husband and she's let me waffle on, as you can see from the posts that I put up!!! There are so many different treatments, ops, chemo and radiotherapy, so much that its not the sentence it was 20 or 30 years ago. But if you need any info, or wonder what will happen, then just start a thread and you will get answers from people who have gone through it, going through it, or who have supported people through their treatment. Everyone is friendly, and they do help a lot, but this is the wrong time of year for just being diagnosed and starting treatment because of the summer holidays, the ones that seemed to go on forever as a kid, but now drag by when you're waiting for something to happen. If you need a chat with a newbie who knows nothing about any treatment, but who is going through similar paths as you, them I am usually around a couple of times q day, and I do try to answer any messages. If people take the time to answer my points, then I can at least say thanks, and then waffle on as I'm doing now. Seriously,  I'm usually around so message me if you wish too. Take care, don't "google" anything, that will scare you to death, it did me, as my colorectal nurses say, only look on mamillan or .gov take care Rosie xx