Chemo

• 2 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi 

I’m new to the group just after some advise, i had stage 3 bowel cancer just finished my chemo just wondering what happens next does it mean that i’m now cancer free,

also have stoma bag which is going to be reversed just wondering about the next stage.

Many Thanks 

Kevin

• Hi . Was your post op chemo due to affected lymph nodes? I generally take the date of my operation as being the start of my cancer free time as that is when the tumour was removed - I had 2/17 lymph nodes affected so had follow up chemo as a precaution but the cancerous tumour and nodes had already been removed so as far as I was concerned I was cancer free at that point and the chemo was just belt and braces.

Its difficult to predict how quickly your reversal will happen as the NHS is still under a lot of pressure. There’s a thread on the Ileostomy and stoma board about reversals that might be worth having a look at? 
    https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ileostomy-and-colostomy-discussions-forum/f/stoma-reversal-and-lars

One thing I would recommend is to exercise your sphincter muscles - see pages 24 & 25 in booklet below

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/RegainingBowelControl_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Your bowels will be very erratic after your reversal and it’s often better to ‘hold it in’ until the immediate urge passes and you can get to a toilet - making a run for it can have unfortunate consequences!

Take care

Karen x

ps congrats on finishing your treatment yay

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen

Many thanks for your for your reply really appreciated, yes the chemo was due to two lymph nodes  showing signs of cancer out of the 18 removed.

that’s a great way of looking at cancer free it’s brilliant to hear someone  so positive will definitely take a look at the links once again thanks so much you have been as massive help.

so pleased to hear that you are free from the cancer and seem really upbeat 

take care 

Kevin