APER Surgery questions

• 115 replies
  • 144 subscribers

Hi guys

I have an appointment with surgeon to discuss my up and coming surgery, has anyone got any advice on questions I should ask ?

• Hi NicN

This is great place to get lots of advice. 
    I had a Lower Anterior Resection so it’s a different type but there’ll be someone here that’s had the same  

If I can help just ask away. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi NicN  .1..What is the problem .2 Where is it.3 What will they do.3 When will they do it..4How long will it take .5 Who and where will it be done .6  After Care 7 get your hospital bag ready...

That's it in a nutshell.Best thing is to put all of your question about everything down  before you go to your consultant .

.Kissing heartAlaine

• Thanks Artsie, 

Can I ask how you are coping with your stoma?

mine will be permanent so just trying to come to terms with the idea, and how much my life will change 

• Thanks Alaine 

I think I know everything I need to know now. Just need to come to terms with it now Grin

• Good Question 

I had lots of anxiety about having an Ileostomy.
    The Stoma nurses were amazing.

The stoma takes about six weeks to settle into its forever shape. Also I was very swollen so that it was hard to find it. The nurses gave me the right bags for my stage.

I’m four months on now and to be honest I’m getting on well with Whoopi. She’s quite a cutie. 
    The fear I had of managing dissolved once the cancer was gone. and it’s really not that hard to manage. It did take me ages to start with but a couple of weeks and it’s no bother.  Whoopi the stoma saved my life and she may be a keeper that’s still awaiting judgment. Don’t worry too much about the stoma. I’ve had amazing advice here. I’m pleased you found us. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• PS. My life if so much better now. I wouldn’t go back. I can do all the things I did before. Eat out, shop and visit people. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks for this

i guess I need to focus on the bigger picture of them removing the cancer, and not so much on the permanent bag, 

just quite scary. Im 42 , never really had any health issues. Now I have a major op and all this uncertainty ahead

thanks for your comforting words though, each day at I time I guess 

• Hi.I had a different op.a total colectomy with a permanent iliostomy.as the others have said it really isnt that bad and you soon get into a rhythm of emptying and changing.it becomes second nature quite quickly .it hasnt stopped me doing anything I did before and I wear the same clothes.unless I tell people I dont think anyone can tell I wear a stoma bag but Im not ashamed of it so am quite open about it.

Anyway take it all one step at a time and you will get there.all the best

Kath

• It’s scary and I felt exactly the same. But I focused on getting that cancer out. That’s the most important thing. Fire everything you are given at it. 
    Also treat yourself to things you like doing or eating. Whatever to take you mind away from worrying. 
    Good Luck

keep us posted 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks for all the encouraging words. 
    I will try my best to focus on the positives, and try not to stress to much about the op until it’s D day

I have a pretty good sense of humour so hopefully i can try to incorporate that in the coming weeks/months , 

Ps how do u keep yourself entertained in hospital for 7-10 days Neutral face