One year on ; flatulence and wind

• 10 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi 

‘it’s been sometime since I posted. I had my loop ileostomy reversal after key hole surgery for grade 3 bowel cancer over a year ago and am doing well.

I hope that my post reassures those who are at the early  stages of recovery.

I have been to USA and to Greece twice, was pleased that things held up well. I am using liquid Imodium  and psyllium husk daily to help regulate my bowel. Before long journeys I do not eat after 3 to 4;00pm the day before and avoid breakfast ( eat an oat cake or bar ) until I am confident that facilities will be within reach. I take approx 4 mg liquid Imodium first thing in the morning on the day of travel , if I have had a BM. I wait a little if things haven’t moved.I carry Imodium tablets ( the anti cramp and wind ones ) to use during flights or if I start to feel a bit unstable.On flights , long journeys I try to be gluten free and eat regularly avoiding any trigger foods ( chilli , sweets etc ) . I carry spare clothing as an emergency but have never had to fall back on these . 

‘If it’s a really long journey I will wear the dreaded ‘pants ‘ , again these have been as a reassurance rather than a necessity.

My flight to Los Angeles was 10 and a half hours , journey to Heathrow two hours , with a 3 hour wait before take off, followed by a one hour trip to mys sons home outside of Los Angles . It was all fine.

I can go for 3 plus weeks without what I call incident ( those moments when you go in stops and starts and then end with a flourish ) . I am working hard to remember pelvic flour exercises to help with control and it is heaps better.

i was going to gym regularly until I caught the Christmas cough bug that many had ! Hoping to return this week as I felt it definitely helped.

I drink socially but have several days off each week to allow my gut and brain to rest! Red wine, cider  isn’t great but white wine seems ok.

My next step is to try at least a week without any medication to see exactly how I function, but I have avoided this up until now  as I am a tad anxious that it will be awful and stop my daily routine ! 

‘There are 2 things that bother me , one is I am sure a state of mind thing and the other I would welcome tips for.

1, I get really rancid smelling flatulence a lot . I drink green tea, mint tea . Any tips ? It’s really horrible. I am hoping to drive down to Greece soon with my dog and a friend and possibly share rooms en route .What can I do to eradicate this ? I can’t keep blaming the dog ! My friend is aware of my issues but has not been confined with me !

I eat almost normally ( although curry ,  chilli is a definite no no for me ) .

I started using lacto free milk straight after surgery not sure if it helps but have stuck with it at home. I take actimel almost daily to help balance my gut.

Love fruit and vegetables , fish and most meats.

Beef ( too much of it ) can cause a sudden change in bowel movement 

2. I know that there’s no answer to this BUT wouldn’t it be nice not to have to think about the toilet all the time? I do loads of stuff and manage.It impinges on doing things spontaneously but I should be less self indulgent and embrace the fact that I am one of the very lucky ones and shouldn’t whinge ! 

I am extremely fortunate that at the moment I am all clear of cancer and know that this is a minor confidence knock .

Kindest regards to everyone out there.

• Hi Riglia

It sounds as though we have a lot in common including foul farts. I had my reversal in May last year and like you am mostly OK but eating too much fibre can set me off. As a new years resolution I went on  a low carb diet as I am obese and it had an amazing effect almost instantly. I ate less calories and obviously cut out bread, pasta, rice etc but kept on the veggies, a little fruit, salads and meat/fish/eggs and my bowel habits were changed. Hardly a fart was passed, my stools were firm and sweet and my husband agreed I was a new woman, oh the romance. Anyway I kept it up for 2 weeks then slowly slipped back into old ways and my nastier habits are back. I blame my slippage on stress and the cold weather. Scan coming up soon and I have a growing nodule that is giving me sleepless nights. (Who wants to be a slim corpse), I shall enjoy my food until I hopefully get the all clear end of March (it takes 4 to 6 weeks for scan results at the moment) and then I shall try the diet again. Just a thought that you might want to try the dietary change and see if it works for you like it did for me.

Good luck!

Nicky x

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Thanks for that , will try to cut down carbs ! I like my food but realise that I may need to revisit it . Gosh it would be bliss to be almost fart free and unsmelly ! 

I have my annual check up tomorrow . Feeling positive.

Hope all goes well with you . 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nicky Nosher

Hi and thank you for your post and I am sure with the exception of the odour and flatulence problems your post will be a great inspiration to others especially your tips on travelling.

I am afraidI can't offer any suggestions to solving the problems except to say that the advice on dietary change that might just be the answer.

Hope everything improves for you in the future, keep posting keeping us informed as you progress further.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there I'm having my reversal in a couple of months .

I just wanted some advice on how long the recovery will take.

And how much time I would need off work . It's s standard reversalfrom an iliostomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Andy

Good news about your intended stoma reversal and I hope it goes ahead as planned.

I am sorry that I can't personally answer your questions as I have a permanent Ileostomy but you might find some of the answers in the following link

Stoma Reversal 

I hope that you will receive some information from others but you might find you will receive more replies if you post the above by starting a new discussion as it will attract the attention of the members and I would suggest that you go to either 

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support

Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum

Groups by clicking on the green text which will take you to the homepages of the group when you arrive there click on start a discussion and repost your question.

I wish you all the best for your stoma reversal please keep in touch as we like to hear how you were after the surgery especially members like yourself who find themselves in the same place as you are in now.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi ,

Good luck! I take it you have a loop ileostomy / colostomy? The operation is straight-forward, takes about an hour or so. They cut the skin loose from the stoma, sew up the bowel (I had a loop colostomy), pop it back in the hole then glue the wound shut. I am certain it was more complicated than that, but that was how my surgeon described it! Grinning

Recovery was very quick compared to the resection operation. I was in the shower the day after surgery; one of the nurses offered assistance but I managed on my own. Discharged after three days. I then spent a week recovering and doing nothing before starting to work again. What sort of work do you do? I am an office worker and can work from home, so I started less than two weeks after the op, but by the end of that week fatigue caught up with me and I crashed for most of that Friday. After that my energy started to come back, so it was better. I started driving after four weeks. I would say if your work entails anything more strenuous than sitting behind a desk all day, four to six weeks as an absolute minimum. Best to check with your consultant or colorectal nurse.

Worst part for me was that they refused to feed me for a couple of days after the operation. Stuck out tongue winking eye Day before the op I couldn't eat and was taking bowel prep, Op was on the Wednesday, Thursday I was allowed liquids only and the first solid food they gave me was the Friday evening. And even after discharge you will have to take it easy with food for a while, sticking to low fibre for a few weeks.

Have you checked out the Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support? There are some interesting posts regarding reversals. Check out this post as well: https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ileostomy_and_colostomy_discussions/f/ileostomy_and_colostomy_discussions-forum/160097/ileostomy-reversal---my-tips-tricks-of-dealing-with-the-grizzly-bear?pi5520=1#1287261

Hope all goes well!

Yolande

• Hi I hope that it all goes well. 

‘I can only say what happened for me. My recovery from surgery was quite quick.i had to be mindful about lifting for some weeks.

The biggest issue was learning to manage my bowel movements. It’s different for all of us. I had several weeks where it was really difficult to gauge when I would function and I had little control.Improvements came slowly . Other people I know said they went back to regular manageable movements very quickly.

My bowel nurses and this forum had lots of tips. 

‘My late husband had bowel cancer and reversal over 20 years ago and he returned to work quite quickly after his reversal and  managed  working in a school environment.He took loperamide capsules regularly .

‘I am retired so did not have to think about work. 

Sorry that I can’t offer more answers but wish you well .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Riglia

Hi there and thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear your hubby is still with us and recovered well. I have reservations and worry after reading negative experiences on here. I'm only 48 and beleive my youth and being fit normally will be a positive for my recovery.

Thanks again.

Andrew

• Hi Reglia

I am six years post op, similar journey to you. You have had some good replies so I will not go into the whole story, but six years on, I still have a bit of a wind problem, and sometimes have accidents, but I have developed ways of dealing with it,stopped doing some things (eg golf. Just too stressful to commit to a 5 hour activity,so I binned it)

I am just back from three weeks in Cuba. Daring, because there are few functioning public toilets, no toilet paper, 5 hour bus journeys, what was I thinking of?

But here is the thing. Food in Cuba is really basic, fish or chicken with rice and beans. I went for the fish and rice pretty well the whole time, and had my best period of control, proper stools,regular loo trips.

It was my wife noticed. So after any number of experiments, I have drastically reduced my meat, increased white fish in particular and built rice into my diet in a more structured way. 

I had tried exactly the same thing a few years ago with little results, but maybe it’s the right time for my system to do it now

With my very best wishes

Regards

Greg

PS I have had the most wonderful 6 years, I am celebrating my 39th wedding anniversary this week, have two more grandchildren. Life is better than it has ever been. I wish you all the happiness in the world. Don’t stress about a bit of wind, the important people who love you do not care a jot, they are just happy to see you happy and healthy. Carpe Diem. 

Regards Greg
  • This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.