Results of Colonoscopy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 31 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi, a newbie here, have just had a colonoscopy 2 days ago & the results were  not what I was expecting ... seems I have a malignancy in my sigmoid colon , several biopsies were taken at the time so I guess it's a waiting game for results, a C.T. scan etc; etc;  I will be treated at Lincoln County Hospital.

I am a bit shell shocked at the moment & when being seen with results after colonoscopy felt as if she was talking to someone else not me. It's a good job my husband was sat with me to ask some questions , still having a job taking it in.....

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Unknown said:

Hi, a newbie here, have just had a colonoscopy 2 days ago & the results were  not what I was expecting ... seems I have a malignancy in my sigmoid colon , several biopsies were taken at the time so I guess it's a waiting game for results, a C.T. scan etc; etc;  I will be treated at Lincoln County Hospital.

I am a bit shell shocked at the moment & when being seen with results after colonoscopy felt as if she was talking to someone else not me. It's a good job my husband was sat with me to ask some questions , still having a job taking it in.....

The 

Unknown said:

The most important thing  one needs to except is yes this has happened and can't be unhappened when one gets our head right everything becomes a little bit easier to deal with ,remember your body will heal it's self even from major surgery but your head is your responsibility, take some counseling try everything that you think might help you , a very good friend of mine has a great saying This too will pass.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Harveymut, have taken that onboard .

• FormerMember

Unknown said:

Ramzy

Gemcollector1 - Definitely agree a trip away will do a world of good and a welcome break from all this. I have every faith once you get your results things should get better and any positive news on your side will have a good knock on effect on your husband too. In terms of size I had (prior to my meeting today) been advised by friendly folk on here it is not necessarily a major factor, so I wouldn't worry much.

Just take one day at a time and things will begin to slowly fall back into place. Enjoy your trip to the Dales and think of nothing else.

I am having treatment at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley West Mids but for Radiotherapy I will have to go New Cross in Wolverhampton as Dudley does not have the facilities.

Hi Ramzy - I am not quite sure if this will reach you o.k. but I hope it does.

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in July 2014.and I hope that details of my experience will help you, as I my treatment took place entirely at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton.

I was admitted the day I saw my GP who found the lump. Tests began very quickly and I was told that the cancer was treatable and had not spread to any organs.Within a matter of weeks I had met my Oncologist and Surgeon who outlined the treatment plan which they had prepared for me, and I truly felt I was in such good hands that I wasn't remotely worried about the outcome.

I had a central line Hickman) inserted for 24/7 chemo for two weeks only, and 25 sessions of Radiotherapy.I  did have one or two spells in Hospital, but had lots of support from friends and family, and virtually sailed through my treatment. The tumour shrunk to half its original size and was removed by keyhole surgery on January 6th 2014. Post-op lab reported "no further treatment required"

I have recently had my second annual CT scan result which reported "no evidence of cancer".

I do read the posts on this site, but only rarely posts anything myself. I just wanted to give you - and anyone else who was in a similar position to me back in 2014 - some reassurance there is light at the end of this tunnel, especially if you stay positive and fight this with grim determination.

I wish you all the very best.

• Unknown said:

collie2

Ramzy

Gemcollector1 - Definitely agree a trip away will do a world of good and a welcome break from all this. I have every faith once you get your results things should get better and any positive news on your side will have a good knock on effect on your husband too. In terms of size I had (prior to my meeting today) been advised by friendly folk on here it is not necessarily a major factor, so I wouldn't worry much.

Just take one day at a time and things will begin to slowly fall back into place. Enjoy your trip to the Dales and think of nothing else.

I am having treatment at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley West Mids but for Radiotherapy I will have to go New Cross in Wolverhampton as Dudley does not have the facilities.

Hi Ramzy - I am not quite sure if this will reach you o.k. but I hope it does.

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in July 2014.and I hope that details of my experience will help you, as I my treatment took place entirely at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton.

I was admitted the day I saw my GP who found the lump. Tests began very quickly and I was told that the cancer was treatable and had not spread to any organs.Within a matter of weeks I had met my Oncologist and Surgeon who outlined the treatment plan which they had prepared for me, and I truly felt I was in such good hands that I wasn't remotely worried about the outcome.

I had a central line Hickman) inserted for 24/7 chemo for two weeks only, and 25 sessions of Radiotherapy.I  did have one or two spells in Hospital, but had lots of support from friends and family, and virtually sailed through my treatment. The tumour shrunk to half its original size and was removed by keyhole surgery on January 6th 2014. Post-op lab reported "no further treatment required"

I have recently had my second annual CT scan result which reported "no evidence of cancer".

I do read the posts on this site, but only rarely posts anything myself. I just wanted to give you - and anyone else who was in a similar position to me back in 2014 - some reassurance there is light at the end of this tunnel, especially if you stay positive and fight this with grim determination.

I wish you all the very best.

Hi Collie2 - This has indeed reached me and boy am I glad :) Thank you so much for sharing your experiences from diagnosis, treatment to recovery in the care of New Cross, this has definitely put my mind at ease.I am so glad your treatment went so well and you are now free of this horrible disease. I am yet to receive my treatment schedule but I have been told radiotherapy will definitely be at New Cross.

I have and I guess will have so many questions to ask since our cases are almost similar. I too have a tumour (colorectal cancer) which fortunately hasn't spread therefore am imagining the same sort of treatment schedule like yours. I would definitely want to keep in touch, I have just sent you a friendship request.

Thanks.

1. When life serves sour grapes, make wine!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ramzy

Not quite sure how to reply to your kind request , as I am not too computer literate, but welcome you most happily. By the way, I forgot to add that I was 83 when diagnosed, and am now looking forward to my 86th birthday in June. I will get the hang of exactly what to do one of these days, having had a computer long before family and friends had them.! !

Please do keep in touch, and maybe one day we can meet and compare notes.
    Rene
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Been to see surgeon now after results from Biopsies & C.T. scan, have signed consent for surgery & am hopeful that will do the trick, No date yet as slight fly in ointment , a suspicious looking shadow on lung....... will have to have a PET scan in Nottingham before anything else happens , can't help but worry....

• FormerMember

Hi GemColl, your on the road to getting this addressed so stay positive. Easy to say I know, Ive been there and back. Now in recovery after 6mths Chemo, Surgery etc. Told recovery could take 6mths! now just been 6weeks so a way to go yet for me. 

It is a journey, but one necessary to take, your following a well troden path. Yr in safe hands/.

You will get there. Keep us all updated as yr not alone. 

Clearly a plan is in place and a double check on things has got to be a sensible thing to happen.

Worrying is natural,  you would'nt be normal if you did not have some worries. But one thing is for sure, I told myself this. It is a major piece of surgery but they (NHS) have done this sort of thing 10,000s of time. They did this yesterday and the day before that. The Surgeon, hospital Theater staff etc know what they are doing. For me I felt the sooner we start the better, as this bugger (tumor) needs sorting out,take a healthy margin and hopefully they wont find anything else. They did not as the scans were good enough.

For me I felt the team, the nurses on the ward post Op, rushed of their feet, dealing with unhelpful 'joe public' etc etc; were amazing. Out of hospital in 3days, with a few things to sort out. 

The available the Help line (24hrs/day), visits from the district nurse to check staples etc, plus the available colorectal nurses, key workers etc made me feel well looked after. So much so they got loads of choccy biscuits and thank you cards when I was declared fine to be ready to start Chemo. You will also....

I had key hole surgery colon joined to small intestine (so B12 jabs for life) naturally a bit painful afterwards, but nothing major, with a low fiber diet as Bowl goes to sleep, managed to walk around the ward day after   as important to get the ole bowl moving as key to escaping hospital.. :o)  (full of ill people) So Bowls must be working before any escape plans. Then soon home.

Prepare yrself, and focus on 'this soon will be over'....

Good luck, stay positive, and BW....

• Hi

Please try not to worry - I had to have a second ct scan as they saw something in my lung but it was a small cyst and deemed nothing to worry about. The nurse told me that you can have these little cysts almost from birth and they can go undetected for life. 

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • FormerMember

Thank you Frodo, that has helped.

Glad you had a good outcome  and out in 3 days was great, fingers crossed me too x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kareno62

Many thanks Karen, that has put my mind at rest some .

Hope things are going O.K. for you.

all the best,

Karen D x