Awaiting colonoscopy

• 9 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Hi all,

I've been reading threads over the last week and I think you're all amazing. The kind words and well wishes are so powerful

I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone is in the same or a similar position to me. 

For almost 3 weeks I've been bleeding everytime I go to the toilet. I've had 5 days in total over the 3 weeks where there's been no blood in the toilet. I have cramps which are mostly present but when there's no blood, there's no cramps Shrug

I have no weight loss, I'm tired a lot but not anaemic. 

After a positive FIT (169) I have been referred for a colonoscopy this coming Sunday. 

I'm trying to stay positive, which is easier to do when there's no blood! 

Any advice welcome x

• Hi

The waiting is very hard. Glad you've got a colonoscopy  soon. As you've been told I'm sure, there are several things that the blood could be. Wishing you a good outcome.

• Hi Sam

No point in trying to second guess colonoscopy findings, I had some blood traces in poo test in 2017, sent for colonoscopy where cancer was diagnosed, surgery to remove the tumour followed shortly afterwards and I was given the all clear in 2022.....without colonoscopy I would probably not have survived for very long...

Traces of blood in poo/toilet do not always point to cancer, many other explanations, try to stay off Google it only causes unnecessary worry.

Peter

• Hello Samjp,

Advice:

Make sure you follow the instructions for the bowel prep as it is critical to the success of the procedure. Many say it is the worst part of the investigation!

Accept the offer of a sedative prior to the procedure. I have tried it 'with' and 'without' and 'with' makes a difference in terms of being more relaxed. However, you cannot drive home afterwards because you remain under the influence of the sedative for some hours.

The procedure isn't painful, but it can be uncomfortable as the camera passes around a bend but it does soon pass.

Don't be embarrassed if you feel wet in your lower regions, it is quite normal and the team have seen it all before.

It is a worthwhile procedure and (if you want to) you can watch it live on a TV screen. Weird! 

Best

Dulac

• The colonoscopy is not pleasant - have a sedative! I didn't, and it was a mistake - I'd just had a gastroscopy, which I'd coped with & thought that the colonoscopy was going to be similar. Wrong! I felt like a rotisserie chicken...............

Had the CT & MRI scans two weeks later - going for my op on Tuesday 8th...........

Dave

• Thankyou I will do! 

Good luck and all the best with your op Dave 

• Hi there Samjp,

the worse thing I found was drinking that mango flavoured liquid the day before the scan. The more you drink the worse it tastes....and dont wander too far from a toilet... seriously i'm talking a few metres. You have been warned!

Good luck with the scan, you are on the right pathway so try not to worry. (I used to love mangos!)

• I was advised to mix some squash into the prep, I used lime cordial - wasn't too bad. Other advice was to drink it through a straw (bypasses the taste buds)

Dave

• All done and home.

Nothing sinister found but need to carry out some more tests as they want to know why there's blood shown up. 

Thankyou to all you lovely people on here and I hope your journeys are positive x

• Hi Sam

Great news....good luck with the investigations.

Take care 

Peter