Colon cancer - secondary metastases

• 3 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Hi Folks

I had surgery for colon cancer in Feb 2023 and then 4 cycles of chemo. A routine scan recently revealed I've got 3 tumours on my liver and one small one on my upper spine. I saw the colon consultant yesterday who said the  MDT recommended more chemo as opposed to surgery. So I'm seeing an oncologist next week. Does this sound like the right approach if you've experienced this? Thanks.

• Hi  

So sorry to see you back here !

Going straight to chemo is a pretty universal plan for a secondary spread . My understanding is they like to use a systematic approach initially so they can target all the spread at once . It also allows for microdisease to be stabilised.

I will be honest it hit me to begin  with that there was not a surgical option for my mum but in hindsight it was a good plan and I attributed it to her longevity. That does not mean it will be the only approach. They do rescan and if possible add in other more targeted approaches . My mum did this twice and had two liver resections after chemo .

Thinking of you ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

• Hi Graham

I had colon cancer and op in January 23.  Then 6 months chemo. I'm just finishing now.I have to wait 3 months for a scan, did you?  In my first scan, just before op, they did not see any other tumours.j With your story you have to put your trust in their treatment plan. I hope all goes well Pray x