Chemo & Teeth

• 6 replies
  • 100 subscribers

Since having Chemo. in 2020, I have lost many teeth since then.

• Hi Marianne26

I had chemo in 2022. I haven't lost any teeth but have had a lot of increased sensitivity.

I have recently had my teeth deep cleaned at the dentist and was told that it was not unusual but can depend on the chemo regime. (Mine was paclitaxel/carboplatin)

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  , what a good topic to raise and share experiences from.

Like  my issue is sensitivity. Initially I thought it was solely related to my neuropathy from chemo, but I realised that the mouthwash I had been prescribed for mouth ulcers caused by chemo was actually the worst contributor.

After asking lots of questions and doing some of my own detective work, I'm now prescribed a targetted spray mouthwash to reduce contact with teeth and I apply an over the counter sensitive toothpaste directly to any nerve twinging too without washing it. The two changes together have made my teeth much happier.

• Hi CrumpetsorToast , 

Could you tell me what mouth spray you were prescribed ? My mum is currently receiving chemo for peritoneal cancer and has started to get really bad ulcers . 
    like yourself her mouth wash is now becoming irritating and salt water makes her heave . 

many thanks 

• Hi  I’m sure  will be along shortly but in the meantime I wondered if this post might be of interest?

RE: Skin in mouth peeling 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi  

Benzydamine Hydrochloride. I started with mouthwash version when i had many ulcers at a time, then went onto to the spray version when just one or two.

I was prescribed Benzydamine Hydrochloride by hospital during chemo then continued by GP afterwards.

• Thanks for your reply . We have contacted her nurse and managed to get some for collection in the morning .