Surgery

• 17 replies
  • 102 subscribers

Just found out that I will be having laparoscopic surgery on 6th August. They're going to remove the 6 cm bleeding, circumferential, malignant tumour from my sigmoid colon. About 12 inches of my bowel will also be removed. I have never had major surgery in my life. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks:)

• Hi  I had never been in hospital before my surgery either although I had open rather than laparoscopic. I’ve attached a link to a booklet that has lots of useful info and lists of things to take with you - an extra long charging cable is a must.

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/YourOperation_BowelCancerUK.pdf

The first couple of days after the op can be a bit rough with various drips and tubes but some will be removed after a couple of days making it easier to get about. The bowel does not like being manhandled so may go to sleep for a few days then wake up with a vengeance so stick to a light diet. The nurses will encourage you to get up and walk about and you’ll hopefully be home after a few days. Recovery at home is about 4-6 weeks so try short walks and build up as you feel able

Hope it goes well and please ask if there’s anything you’re worried about!

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hello Marcas,

Don't let your imagination run riot and be kind to the anaesthetist! They might offer you an injection in your lower back prior to the op. I was adamant that I didn't want one but - with a few minutes to spare - I asked the anaesthetist what he would do if he were in my shoes. I had the jab and didn't feel a thing.

It's a bit strange coming round after the op but again the care is excellent; these dear people know their business. Don't strain your abdomen and only get up when you are confident within yourself. Take some soft mints (never chewing gum) and be prepared for a dry throat and faded appetite for a while. Don't forget some loose change for the mobile shop as you never know what you might fancy. Take a wheelchair to the car park as there is often quite a walk and you will feel tired. Get home and look forward to a full recovery, but keep drinking water regularly. You will probably find that the external surgical ports heal quickly but remain aware that inside there has been some serious disturbance which will take some weeks to settle down.

Best

Dulac

• Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply and the link. My system was less than pleased with the colonoscopy and all of the poking around. So, I have an inkling that with major surgery I'm in for a rollercoaster.  Today, I've been inundated with eight separate calls from five different people concerning my surgery and various other appointments. All reassuringly friendly, professional and well-meaning people. Thanks again. Marcas xx

• Hi Dulac, 

Thank you for your reply. That's excellent advice with regard to the anaesthetic. I will raise it with my CNS on Monday and discuss it with the anaesthetist on the day of the surgery. So far, I have received excellent care from all of the medical staff I've encountered. That bodes very well for the future. Thank you for the tip about small change - it simply hadn't occurred to me in our cashless society. Marcas :) 

• I am having surgery on the 7th so we will be doing this together! 

It is not my first major surgery though. You'll find the surgery itself is easier than you expect. The scariest thing is the fear of the findings. Try not to focus on that. Your focus should be on recovering from the surgery. The most important thing is to get up as soon as possible afterwards and do the walking as recommended by your team. 

I hope this helps some. 

• Hi Susan, thank you for your wise advice. That really helps. I'm sending you loads of positive energy and I hope your surgery is successful. Once, I've got through the first few days I'll update you on my progress :)

• Hi Marcas

I had an anterior resection (laparoscopic, 4 hours) in 2017 at age 62 ....in hospital for 5 days afterwards....back to work 9 weeks later....recovery takes time, remember to take things easy....use constipation meds and pain relief...oncology staff were first class...

I was discharged from oncology reviews in DEC 2022 after final colonoscopy.

Download the 'Libby' app for free newspapers and books ....UK library service.....helps pass the time in ward.

Good luck and take care 

Peter

• I had laparoscopic surgery many moons ago for a Gynaecological problem. Honestly it was fine and recovery was much speedier than open surgery. You will be so well cared for, don’t overthink it as you will send yourself crazy. The consultants know what they’re doing. Keep the faith Pray

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for the advice. It's great news you were discharged from oncology reviews in December 2022. I've already downloaded to my mobile a few books and, of course, the entire series of 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister'. The adventures of Sir Humphrey, Bernard and Hacker always lifts my spirits. 

Marcas :)

• Hi Kathy, thank you for your reassuring words. I do have a tendency to overthink things and I really have to work on that. I count my blessings that the surgery is laparoscopic. Marcas :)