Surgery Timeframe help - ELAP Resection Rectal Cancer

• 6 replies
  • 100 subscribers

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. 

I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma of Rectum on 9/4/24 with T3A N0 MO.  My treatment is neoadjuvant chemoradiation for 5 weeks followed by ELAP resection. 

My chemoradiation was completed on 24/06/24.  I have my new scans booked for 4th and 8th August with next MDT being on 16/08/2024. 

I'm looking for any ideas on how long after that surgery would be indicated. 

I do have a lot of other things going on with an ongoing child residence case and it would be useful to have some more ideas on the timeframe. Particularly as we are back in court tomorrow. 

• Hi  

Firstly my thoughts are with you as that’s a lot to process . I am going to tag in  to see if she has any insight .

Roughly speaking following mdt meetings with my mum’s various surgeries it can be anything from the following week to six weeks down the road maybe longer . Depends on the theatre and surgeon availability and holiday season . Also being free to take a cancellation might help speed it up .

If you have a named surgeon I would be inclined to fire off a quick email to the surgeons secretary to ask for rough timelines you could take to court with you tomorrow. Some are really helpful .

Also our helpline staff may have a finger on the pulse . 0808 808 0000 . They will be open in the morning  I think possibly from eight .

All the very best ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi  I suppose timelines will depend on each hospital? I had my treatment in 2016. I started my 5 weeks chemoradiotherapy on 22/8/16 and had my op on 28/11/16. 

Hope you get a date soon

Take care

Karen x 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hello Brainyprincess,

Chemoradiotherapy finished mid-October and colorectal surgery was performed beginning of February. Covid was in full swing but I was advised that a three-month interval between these events is not unusual because the radiotherapy keeps on cooking! It worked.

Best Wishes,

Dulac

• Hi. I had similar diagnosis in jan. 5 weeks radiochemotheray in feb. New scans end of may and I’ve just had the op on the 15th august. Hope that helps..

• Hi sorry I meant 15th july for the op!

• Hi there,

I am also an ELAPE veteran and looks like I had an almost identical diagnosis as yours- 5 years ago! I had my surgery 5 months after diagnosis. You can read all about my journey here ... best of luck with it all.... community.macmillan.org.uk/.../superfly

Sean