Stomach cramps advice please

• 1 reply
  • 98 subscribers

Hi,

I have had 17 out of 28 sessions of radiotherapy and are currently taking chemo tablets. Last night I was woken up by horrible stomach cramps which carried on all night and on and off today.  I ve been advised to take paracetamols, which I have. But just wondered those of you who have gone through radiotherapy, do you have any tips for stomach cramps, I m getting they will get worse as the fraction sessions progress.

thanks 

• Hi Sharptoothmints

My cancer was womb cancer but I also had pelvic radiotherapy.

My chemo was done seperately and before.

I also had lots of bowel effects from the radiotherapy and they included cramps. They progressively got worse as the sessions went on. I suggest talking to your radiotherapist and seeing whether buscopan and loperamide would help. I had these alongside codeine phosphate. 

I was also helped by following a different diet and this was bland foods like toast, rice, crumpets. Anything I had with dairy or with fibre would give me cramps and food would go straight through me. I would ask your radiotherapist which foods would help in your situation -as you are on chemo so possibly other things may also be adding to yours. 

I also found the tiredness built up. Everything peaked for a couple of weeks after the radiotherapy finished and then started to improve. Keep going- just 11 to go!

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm