Been referred.

• 4 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Had diarrhea for five weeks , going to the toilet every one / two hours.

Everything else is fine I'm active still.

One test at doctors is negative , and one test is positive.

Been referred to the hospital for more tests within two weeks. 

Will this be cancer? What form? What stage? 

• Hi  There’s a few things that can have similar symptoms to bowel cancer like colitis, diverticulitis, crohns, ibs etc. The main thing is that your doctor has reacted promptly and a colonoscopy will investigate and find the cause of your possible positive fit test. 
    Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis so please try not to let your imagination run away with you and definately stay away from google - you should get an appointment through within 2 weeks then take things from there?

Take care and please let us know how you get on?

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you so much for your reply. 

If one said positive and one said negative. How likely is it that it would be cancer? 

Does the hospital ring you with an appointment or text? 

After further tests at the hospital , how long are you waiting for results? 

Thank you for your help x

• Hi  I really don’t know why 1 test would be positive and 1 negative. I was diagnosed in 2016 and the hospital rang me with my appointment. I had the colonoscopy and they told me there and then that they were 99% sure it was cancer. When I had my last colonoscopy in 2022  I had a meeting with someone after and they gave me the result (all clear) and some paperwork explaining what they’d done and how the procedure had gone.
    If you want to ring the support desk on Monday then you should be able to speak to a nurse who may be able to put your mind at rest as well? x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Beth1994

Please don’t worry, like Karen said it can be many things.  

My hubby had lots of investigations which proved firstly polyps , IBS then later diverticulitis. He managed with diet 

I had on failed FIT and I had a colonoscopy and was told there and then I would need more investigations

I’m sending you a hug and hoping everything goes well for you. 

Try and occupy yourself  

Ann
     ‍Art