Urgent GP appointment

• 1 reply
  • 98 subscribers

Hi there, 

I have been experiencing irregular bowel movements for a few years, and have always just assumed I had ibs or something not-too-urgent and never got around to investigating, partly due to lockdowns and disinterested GPs. I now live somewhere with a great GP and I finally sorted out getting it seen to, got given stool sample kits which again I put off for a couple of months (feeling silly) but dropped them off just yesterday. Have received a scary text from my GP today saying stool test is raised (?) and she had booked me in for an urgent appointment with herself tomorrow to examine me, as I may need an urgent hospital referral. This text came while I was at work and I had a bit of a panic attack as it sounds really serious but I also don't understand it. I've gone to worst case scenario and the urgency of it all is terrifying me. Very worried I've ignored something serious for years. My bowel movements have actually been better recently so i had stopped worrying as much before this. Bloods done as well and most say they are in range on my online portal, any that don't say that, also don't say out of range. Any advice much appreciated x

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. The important thing now is to get yourself thoroughly checked out. A positive FIT test needs further investigation to see what is causing the result showing blood in your stool. Your GP will probably check for piles and may also refer you for a colonoscopy. 
    Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis but it is a good way of getting to the root of the problem. There are a few things that can cause blood in the stool like ibs, colitis, diverticulitis and they can usually give you a good idea of what they’ve seen after the colonoscopy.

Try not to worry - I know that’s easier said than done - and stay away from google as it’s easy to get carried away rather than sticking to the facts

Take care and please let us know how you get on?

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm