Colonoscopy

• 3 replies
  • 100 subscribers

Hi all,

On a routine blood test in 2022 my doctor told me that my blood platetels were raised above the normal limit (480) and previous tests show high levels from 2020. Since then I have had lots of blood tests which have also indicated that my iron and vitamin D levels are very low and my plateltes have remained high but under 500. 

I have always suffered with my bowels, for years I would get chronic constipation gurgly tummy and terrible flactuance to be prescribed laxido and told I have lazy bowels. 

Over the past year my bowel habits have changed I have been getting dirreah/soft fluffy stools especially in the mornings. No visual site of blood in any of my stools. I am also getting out of breath more going up the stairs and getting terrible eczema on my hands. My FIT test has come back negative. My doctor has refered me for a colonoscopy as urgent but not 2ww route-  I am extremely lucky that this was booked in very quickly! 

I am extremely nervous about my colonoscopy this is booked in for Monday I am worried that my prep won't work (been away last couple days and not eaten well) plan to go on very low fibre diet next few days any tips on what to eat? 

Getting the results are terrifying me I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old I have done the worst thing possible and spent far to much time on Google - because of my platetes low iron and vitamin D levels combined with my change of bowel habits my mind has now run away with me and I have convinced myself of the worst. My health anxiety has gone through the roof!  Has anyone had similar symptoms? Especially with ongoing high platelets? Just want to know what I'm dealing with if the two might be linked?

Sending my love and positivity to everyone going through investigations, diagnosis or treatment stumbling across this site and reading people's stories Heart

• Hi

Can only comment on colonoscopy.... Have had a few due to being diagnosed with Dukes A colorectal cancer in 2017.... procedure is pretty much pain free....Moviprep worked extremely well.... procedure certainly saved my life.

Stay away from Dr Google..  ... unless NHS or Macmillan etc 

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• Hi.

I had a colonoscopy earlier this year. Wasn't that bad and pre medication worked exactly as advised. Did you not get a diet sheet? Low residue was the term I think.  I had the sedation that was offered but pretty mild. Was up and about straight after. Going to ask for a double next time!

I hope all goes well for you 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. One of my first pieces of advice is to advise people to stay away from google as it can be so scary. Take a deep breath and stick to the facts. 

A negative fit test is a good sign

Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis.

There are several conditions that can cause bowel issues like ibs, colitis, diverticulitis, crohns etc.

The more you worry the more your stomach and bowels will react and then you’ll worry some more and you’ll be in a spiral of worry

Low vitamin D is very common. My doctor told me it’s the 1 vitamin that she insists all her family takes on a daily basis

Theres no reason that the prep won’t work and I’ve attached a link to some low fibre diet sheets for you to follow

Low Residue Diet 

They will tell you after the colonoscopy what they’ve seen and if any further treatment is required. 
    Hope this helps but please ask if you’ve any more worries?

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm