What are your symptoms please?

• 5 replies
  • 101 subscribers

Just interested to know your symptoms before treatments and after treatments please? 

thank you 

• Hi  I started with loose stools and rushing to the toilet after my early morning cup of tea. My symptoms progressed over a few months where I tried to convince myself that this was due to a life style change. I then started to notice blood in the toilet bowl and even some blood passing from my bottom when I was having a wee. My stools had also become very thin but no pain. As we were due to go on holiday I visited my gp and the rest is on my profile page. I didn’t feel unwell or lose any weight.

I had a 5 week course of chemoradiotherapy and this stopped the bleeding and my stools improved - I was later told that the treatment had shrunk the tumour by 75%. 
    I’ve attached a link to a leaflet from the bowel cancer uk board which describes some of the signs to watch for and also a diary that you can keep tracking your symptoms. 
    https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/SymptomsDiary_BowelCancerUK_2024_Full_Colour.pdf

Hope this helps and you are able to be investigated properly 

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I had the opposite to Karen, severe constipation,  bloating and trapped gas, which I had for over a year prior to diagnosis  but didn't seek medical help as I managed it with dietary changes! However, it all lead to a total bowel blockage and 24 hrs of vomiting which put me in hospital for emergency surgery. Between recovery from surgery and before starting chemo, I had honestly never felt better! Chemo messes up the bowel though, so it feels like a few teps forward and a few back  but nothing like before the op!

• Did you have any blood aquamarine? Do you mind me asking what age you are?

• Hi Mrs I

My symptoms were masked, I was taking methotrexate for Psoriatic Arthritis which caused some tummy problems, poo test picked up blood traces subsequent colonoscopy revealed tumour..... anterior resection followed.

After treatment things are not quite the same for toileting.... need to go more often.... occasional leakage.....anal fissures can develop.

Peter 

• I'm 51. No  I didn't notice any blood at any point in the 18 months from onset of symptoms diagnosis!