23, anxious and scared over symptoms

• 4 replies
  • 98 subscribers

Hi everyone, was hoping for a little support and maybe some reassurance? 
Over the last few months I’ve been struggling with bad diarrhoea several times a day which is VERY out of the ordinary for me, I’ve been backwards and forwards to the doctors for blood tests and exams nothing was found in my rectal exam or stomach exam, no lumps or tenderness. The only thing found in my blood tests was slightly low folic acid which I’ve been put on medication for and slightly elevated liver enzymes which my doctor said could be due to the fact I’m currently getting over a chest infection. No infections found in my stool sample, I’m terrified to hand in a Faecal calprotectin test incase they find anything scary.

I had Covid at the beginning of the year and then bad food poisoning in March and my body just hasn’t recovered since, I haven’t noticed anything like blood in my stool, no stomach pain only the diarrhoea sometimes with mucus and occasional gas. My doctor has said she isn’t worried and things don’t look serious but I’m scared because this is all so out of the ordinary for me, I fell down the horrible rabbit hole of googling things and terrifying myself I’m only 23, I have a long term partner planning marriage and a life and I have so much left to do 

I’ve convinced myself I have cancer after so much googling and all these trips to the doctor, what if my next stool sample comes back with bad results? Or my next blood test. My partner has tried to get me to stop my late night googling but I find myself spiralling needing answers. I’ve barely been sleeping/ waking up with panic attacks because I’m just so scared my life is over.

any sort of reassurance or advice would be so appreciated, I know these things are rare at my age and I shouldn’t be panicking myself like this but I’ve seen family members pass away from cancer so this is a terrifying reminder.

• Hi  You need to complete your faecal calprotectin test and get it handed in. The more you let your imagination run away with you the more stressed you will become and every little ache or pain will become a big issue and you will spiral into a huge anxiety ridden hole.

This may all be a backlash from your food poisoning and a course of probiotics may help? Please give the support desk a ring on the number below and have a chat with them? You are making your anxiety worse by googling so stay away from it and focus on the fact that your doctor is not worried (but still hand the fit test in so it’s another confirmation that there’s nothing to worry about)

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I’d feel awful bothering them with my anxiety, I know there’s people that need more support than me that actually have a diagnosis 

will the support number be okay with my worries and questions thank you for the kind reply x

•   yes it totally would be ok for you to ring them. Please do - I’m sure it would help you x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you so much for the advice I gave them a call and had a lovely chat with very nice lady, made me feel a lot less anxious x