Todays colonoscopy

• 2 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Oh…..I did the bowel screen test as soon as it came through the door and sent it in. Little did I know that that would be the start of a snowball unexpectedly hurtling towards me.

Ah it’s piles or the food issues I have is what I thought but no turns out to be a cancerous blob in my intestine. 
Wow, I didn’t expect that especially when it says the small percentage that turns out to be cancer. Just my luck I turn out to be one of that small percentage.

Im a single parent of an 11 year old daughter. We fled from her dad due to domestic violence just as Covid hit, we were one of the lucky ones. My main concern is where we stand with HIM. He has parental rights but on paper she only needs to see him every other weekend for 4 hours but he sees her less than that, more like once a month. Where do I stand when it comes to him? Do I have to tell him? I’ve been told I will probably have to have an operation and I’m worried that he will try to say I can’t look after her and he will get his filthy paws in her. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this please as I’m so worried about it?

• Hello ..I'm so sorry you're going through this. Well.done on finding courage and strength to protect your child and yourself.No he has no right to know about your diagnosis or any of your personal information.Do you have someone to care for your child as you will likely be in hospital for 4 to 5 days very soon.You will need some help afterwards to recover too ,you won't be able to drive often or carry stuff.Good luck it's a tough place you're in x

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. The next couple of weeks will be a flurry of scans and meetings but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will honestly feel a bit better. 
    It is your business as to who you tell about your diagnosis but, as Hex says, you will need support during your treatment and after the operation.

Please give the support desk a ring on the number below and have a chat about your concerns - they have lots of knowledge and experience

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm