Virtual colonoscopy in addition to traditional colonoscopy

• 4 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone has advice re wait times for virtual colonoscopy results?

I had one this morning and it’s showing the report has already been uploaded and sent to my consultant. Does this mean something has been flagged up or am I overworrying? 

I had a normal colonoscopy a year and a half ago and the results took longer from the biopsies. 

my FIT result has since drastically increased, losing a lot of weight, now have lump and generally symptoms are worse. I have a non resolving anal fissure too which I’ve had botox surgery for with no luck so I’m really anxious that after all this time there is actually something there. This is why my consultant asked me to have a virtual colonoscopy instead. 

Has anyone been through anything similar having both procedures done?

• Hi  I know that you have a meeting with someone straight after a standard colonoscopy  and they tell you the findings as far as possible. In my case they were 99% sure it was cancer but would have to wait for the results from the biopsy to be 100% sure. There are no biopsies taken during a virtual colonoscopy so the results will be available immediately.

Would it be worth ringing your GP to see if they can access the results for you?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you so much. I called the hospital and radiology has sent the report to my colorectal consultant who requested it but also gynaecology which has also made me anxious. The receptionist said she would also email the report to my GP. I have an appointment with my colorectal consultant on 21st May so just over a week and a bit so I’m thinking they are probably waiting until then for her to give me the results x

• I had a virtual colonoscopy and waited about 2 weeks for the results. (clear). I think they take longer than a normal colonoscopy because a radiographer has to examine all the pictures carefully looking for what could be tiny polyps. Whereas with a regular colonoscopy the doctor who does it can see the results (apart from biopsy) immediately.

• Thank you. My results were sent to consultant within seven hours of the scan and I was told today that the report was sent to my colorectal consultant and also gynaecology yesterday. The report was sent to my GP today Not entirely sure but worried the speed in which it was sent means something has flagged up!