Numb

• 4 replies
  • 99 subscribers

I’m a 64 year old and thought healthy woman. I had no weight or appetite loss but suffered with right pain under my rib. My doctor sent me for a ultra scan and chest x ray  which came back clear I also had a fit test which came back positive so was sent for a colonoscopy which didn’t go very well as it was found I had a cancerous tumour which was 4cm big and was causing a restriction in my colon. I was sent for a CT scan on the 2nd of May which had shown the cancer has spread to the liver peritoneal and maybe the lung I’m now waiting for the surgeon and oncologist appointment to see what happens next I’m really struggling at the moment and finding it hard to take in my mind is all over the place thanks for this site it helps to not feel alone with this x

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Yes it’s a shock isn’t it but most people find that things generally feel a bit better once they’ve met with the consultant and have a treatment plan in place. Your team will meet and decide on the best course of action and deal with each bit in turn. It can be overfacing initially but put your trust in your team and take it one step at a time.

Im sure  will be along shortly with her words of wisdom and I’m going to put a link to a booklet from the bowel cancer uk board which will give you an idea of some of the treatments that might be considered

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/TreatingAdvancedBowelCancer_BowelCancerUK.pdf

We’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery on here so please don’t feel alone as we’ll help and support you through yours

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for your reply Karen x

• Hi  

My mum was a few years older than you . She was 67 and in robust health until she did one of the first bowel screens . We could not believe it had spread as we had been relandscaping her garden and she was pushing wheelbarrows around the month before. 

However going into treatment well is a positive .

They generally try and reign in the spread and achieve stability . Then rescan and if possible add in other approaches.

Some people are super responders to chemo . It did a powerful job for my mum and despite it being in her liver initially then her lung .

She currently has some present in her lung 14 3/4 years later .

The first year was the toughest but she and the rest of us adapted to living with cancer as some people do get to treat it as a chronic condition.

No all people sadly but new treatments have been coming through lately and that’s good news .

Bowel cancer that has spread is a bit more fortunate than some other primaries as it has a lot of different treatments available.

Even the first meeting can be hard as it’s a bit of a reality check but after that things can get into a routine and it feels safer in some way .

This is a very hard part where you are reeling from the information but still waiting on a plan .

Take care ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi court your mum sounds amazing I’ve got to see the oncologist tomorrow and surgeon Monday so will know more then

Thanks for replying  x