Oxaliplatin - increased infusion time

• 9 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hello,

I am on 8 cycles of Capox and just had my pretreatment call with a pharmacist before cycle 6. The last 2 cycles I had throat spasms, on cycle 4 it started as I walked out of the hospital. Last cycle it started while I was still hooked up to the cannula. The pharmacist is concerned these are getting worse and wants to increase the infusion time. I also get (as we all do) a sore arm from the infusion which he said may be helped by the longer infusion time. Has anyone had their time increased and it helped with either of these issues? My appointments tend to take so long anyway I'm reluctant to add on another hour. 

I've also read in a post today that the sore arm could be helped by having the cannula placed higher, has anyone found this?

• Hi  My chemo nurses were unwilling to increase the infusion time as they said it would just increase the discomfort but I suspect it was more because they had to fit 2 patients a day into the same chair. I had a picc line fitted which is a line left into the upper arm for the duration of your chemo course. This was a game changer but I had to wait a couple of weeks for the appointment to have it fitted so whether they would be willing to do it with you only having a couple to go I don’t know? If you can though I would definitely go for it x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks Karen, I said this to the pharmacist

• Thanks Karen, I said exactly the same thing to the pharmacist today that surely a longer infusion would mean it was painful for longer. I doubt they would put in a picc line when I have just 2 infusions left after next week. I may just have to just grin and bare it. 

• Hi  

My mum had hers infused over six hours the first year . It did help considerably with the throat spasm. But it was a long day ! 

She would sometimes swap arms to give her a rest and let one arm recover .

The second year she actually went in overnight . They would start infusing her around five at night and she would sleep as much as possible and I would pick her up in the morning . Not only did it mean she still had her days to herself but it really helped with side effects .

Saying that I have not heard of others doing this and only possible as her hospital has an inpatient department. But this was the best outcome for her .

How many cycles are you getting ? They would give my mum a heat pack for her arm .

Its not easy navigating all of this .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court, 

I have 3 cycles left overall. I get a heat pack but it doesn't feel like it is doing anything - although I wouldn't try the infusion without it just in case! It starts to get sore about a half hour before the end of the infusion and gradually gets worse over that time and it's pretty sore for about a week after. Even now 2.5 weeks after the cannula site still feels bruised. 

• Hi. I had 4 cycles. Had throat spasm after 1st session. Next session was done over 4 hours. Could feel the spasm symptoms towards the end.  Next session over 6 hours.  It was a long day. Last session dose was reduced and it was done over 5 hours.  Finished chemo just under a year ago.  So far all is well.  Good luck with your treatment. X

• Hi BrenW

I wish they had given me the option of a longer infusion time.    I had my dose reduced after number 3 of 6, but 2 months after chemo I am having issues with neuropathy/mobility.  If you are offered the longer time and the staff can do that, go for it.   Fight for what you need and what helps you.  We are all different.
    I also had such painful veins for the first 3 and it would last the whole 3 weeks until the next cycle was due, with a visible pink line creeping up my arm, which made me fear infection  -   cannula higher up the arm (above the wrist or close to it) certainly helped along with heat pads on the vein during the infusion (reheated at least once during infusion)  and on the way home and for a few hours after that.   All of my chemo veins have disappeared and not come back.     Picc line was not offered to me until cycle 4 when it seemed to me to be too late and invasive at a time when I was compromised. 
    I was going 'Barry White' in the last half hour of infusion so I made of point of saying I needed to sit in in the chair for 20 mins after it had finished and drink hot water.    Rounds 4, 5, 6 resulted in me not being able to walk out of the chemo unit or for a few hours when I got home.  I think a longer infusion may have helped with this.  No one seemed to take me seriously when I raised the issue -  you need to be quite forceful to be heard I fear (and that is not in my nature).    I raised my neuropathy issue and swollen legs and feet 7 times during and after chemo had finished, with the chemo nurses, the dr on duty, my oncologist, my bowel nurse, the helpline  - no one was bothered.  I went to my GP a few weeks ago and he said 'why have you waited so long to come in'.   I'm now told that the damage may well be permanent.
    So - in a nutshell - go with what the pharmacist has recommended and extend your infusion time.    I think it will help with your vein pain too.    Take your own heat pack in for journey home. 

Z

• Do you have a heat pad on your arm during the infusion? This really helps, I think.

• I do but the pain starts about a half hour from the end and then builds.