Colonoscopy

• 4 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi,

Due to a positive FIT test I have a colonoscopy booked next week. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to prepare ? 
I'm feeling nervous! 

• Hi. You should be offered sedation or gas and air for the actual colonoscopy. I’ve had both with no discernable difference, although if you opt for sedation you cannot drive home afterwards. All you should feel is a little discomfort. The key is good bowel prep so follow the diet and other advice you should be given. A lot of people say that the procedure was a lot less traumatic than they imagined. I am sure there will be some guidance available somewhere on this website.

Hope all goes well.

Kind regards.

Maninbath

• Hello,

Having had a few colonoscopies - the first without sedation - it left me in no doubt that sedation was preferable but driving afterwards is not allowed whilst under the influence. That said, the most unpleasant part was drinking the bowel prep at home beforehand. That can be a challenge but it must be done as instructed. The bowel prep is a critical part of the whole procedure. On each occasion the colonoscopy team were very good and considerate and went to great lengths to make me comfortable. You will probably feel some discomfort when the bends in your system are negotiated, but it was not painful - just unusual. Don't feel embarrassed because the team has seen it all before and the sedative really works as a relaxant. It doesn't take very long and the investigation is so important in establishing what might be causing your symptoms. During the procedure the doctor can take small samples for analysis if necessary and you won't feel that. Shortly afterwards the nurse might be in a position to summarise the findings - if any.

I think you will find that a visit to the dentist is worse!

Dulac

• Hi MrsC,

As Dulac says the prep is more uncomfortable than the actual procedure! I have had quite a few, my first I had sedation as I was really nervous but since then I have just had gas and air so I could drive after. The uncomfortable parts are the two bends and the very end, the gas and air makes it all very bearable. 

Good luck with it Thumbsup

• Hi 

I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago.  The bowel prep was slightly different to last itme (this was my 4th) , only 500ml solution instead of 1 litre.  It was easy and not an issue.  I remind myself people pay good money for bowel cleansing lol

I always have the sedation which had been excellent each time, I haven't experienced any discomfort during the procedure nor afterwards, its a good excuse to lay around and watch tv for a day.

It is really important to follow instructions to the letter, if only to be told that your bowel is the best one ever by the staff doing the procedure lol

Carol