TEMS

• 3 replies
  • 84 subscribers

I am possibly having a TEMS, I need to have sigmoidoscopy to confirm I'm suitable, but having to wait till the end of May for that. Doesn't the waiting seems so long?

Hopefully the TEMS goes ahead. Any advice on preparing for the op, and the recovery, especially going for that first poo afterwards.

• Hi there,

I had a TEMS at the end of last Sember as the surgeon wanted to ensure 1mm clear margins round a sessile polyp they removed. There was no particular prep, just an enema prior to surgery. Before I knew it I was back on the ward and recovering. Little bit of discomfort and some discharge, but really nothing to write home about and no need for painkillers.  I was discharged within 24 hours.  7 days later had a short course of antibiotics as discharge was infected. Once the infection was sorted (within 2/3 days) I didn’t have any further issues and was pretty much back to normal within a few weeks The only thing I’m left with now is when I need to go, I need to go, there’s no hanging round!

I had to wait a fair old while for the TEMS nearly 12 weeks as they spotted a small lung cancer (unrelated) on the CT by chance and that took precedence. I’m all sorted now and on surveillance for both lung and bowel. Fingers crossed you’re suitable for TEMS, it’s an amazing surgical technique. 

All the best 

• Thank you so much that is so reassuring. So glad it worked well for you.

Oh my, finding your lung cancer by chance was awful but on the other hand it was great they found it when they did. 

• Yes - I consider myself very very lucky. Slightly smaller polyp taken out in a single piece and it would have gone Uunnoticed as no CT. It was a HUGE piece of probably life saving luck