An update post 18 months surgery.

• 2 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Firstly I want to wish everyone well and good luck on your cancer journey. Back in August 2022 after a FIT test I was advised to take a colonoscopy. I was 60. Following the procedure I was told that something suspicious had been found. I was shocked as I had no symptoms!

Following scans and other tests I was diagnosed with T3N2M0 rectal tumour. I opted for robotic surgery in September 2022 and following my surgery I was allowed to go home after 2 days. I would highly recommend robotic surgery as the recovery process is incredible. After an anxious wait I received my final results and my tumour was downgraded to T3N0M0. My medical team decided not to put me forward for chemotherapy but advised me to enter the 5yr surveillance programme which requires six-monthly check ups including bloods,scans and colonoscopies.

I am now 18 months into the surveillance programme and my cancer has shown no signs of returning. Yes, I get extremely anxious as I approach my check up by I am comforted by the fact that I am being constantly checked. I was also advised to make some lifestyle changes. As a result, I no longer eat red meat, processed foods and I take very little alcohol.

The FIT test and colonoscopy saved my life as my cancer was caught reasonably early. Please, do not die of embarrassment! If you have a problem put your hand up immediately and get professional medical help. Immediately after my surgery I had some difficult “toilet” days but the medical and nursing care I received was amazing. It’s similar when I return for my check ups.

Hopefully, my story will encourage those who may feel they don’t want to talk about a “poo” problem. Believe me the medical professionals are waiting to help you.

• Hi  

It's great to read how well you're doing and thanks very much for taking the time to share your experiences with the forum.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Well done  . This is so encouraging. The recurrence stats for bowel cancer significantly drop after two years . You are nearly there .

You are so correct . For many it’s a life saver . My mum did hers 15 years ago . One of the first to be rolled out in our area . Whilst we were gutted it had spread she was able to take so much treatment as she was caught whilst still in robust health .

It’s a tool in the bag for sure .

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply . I definitely missing a few posts this week as we have started carers for mum . Going well but a bit of a learning curve  . Only possible by doing the screen .

Have a great day and stay in touch .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000