Immunotherapy as primary treatment

• 14 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hello, my 81 year old Mum has recently been diagnosed with stage 2 cancer in the ceacum. It's a small tumor presently.

She has been advised by her surgeon not to have surgery due to her age and general health. She is reasonably well with mobility issues from previous illness. This She accepted and as a Family the realisation we are going to lose our Mum set in.

I read up on her cancer and then asked her surgeon if her genetic tests revealed if she had MSI type cancer cells. It turns out she does. 

An oncology appointment has been made to find out if in my Mums cas she can receive Immunotherapy as primary treatment for stage 2 bowel cancer.

The nurse at Bowel Cancer UK suggests the NHS can/do use Immunotherapy as a primary treatment where surgery is not possible.

I'm trying to find out as much as I can before the appointment. 

Thank you.

Pray 

• ⁸Hi Court, I've been dischsrfeð from the bowel clinic last month,  August would have been 6 years since first diagnosis.  Still Stable with my lungs and Co. Nivolumab has given me alot of extra time, about 3 and 1/2 years. Few blood problems  at the moment but getting  sorted. Hope your well. xx

Moi

• This is fabulous news  . Could you have imagined this at the start of your journey !

So pleased to read this .

Mum is getting older now , just started carers but she had another ten months of treatment last year .

In true mum style she went from not wanting a carer to thoroughly benefiting from them and fully engaged with them . 
    Treatment has allowed her the gift of becoming older . What more could we have asked for . 
    Seems I am aging too . I was 40 with two primary school boys when I turned up here !

Have a great day and thank you for the update . Gives us all a lift . 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Bit of encouragement there  

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Thank you Moi and Court, yes this does make me feel there is reason to be positive so thank you both again.

Thumbsup