Colonoscopy with inflammation markers in blood

• 7 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I have a colonoscopy booked for next Tuesday and I’m terrified. Before this I was telling myself that the it was probably just hemaroids, I’ve had them before and thought I had internal ones now but the GP couldn’t find anything on a digital and referred me for the FIT test and blood test. While we expected this to be positive for blood since this was my only symptom it came back as very high, 400 and with inflammation markers raised as well. Now I’m very afraid that it is something more serious and I’m going into panic mode. Anyone had a similar experience to share for support? 

• Hi  and welcome to the board. Only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis but the positive fit test and raised inflammation marker means that further investigation is recommended to find out the reason for these results.

I’ve attached a link to a post from the bowel cancer uk board where they had a similar reading and it turned out to be polyps

https://community.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/topic/18667-partner-scored-400-fit-test/

If, and it’s very much an if at this stage, it does turn out to be bowel cancer then there is a lot of treatment available - bowel cancer is very slow growing but also very treatable. 

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x ( also Yorkshireborn!)

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you. I was doing ok but then I read my  FIT test score and my blood test results. Inflammation and one of the liver function markers were borderline and this has sent me into a spiral. 

• I would try to stay calm until you recieve the results. 
    imflammation could be anything and my dad has bowel cancer with spread to the liver and his liver function is normal. It could be many things. 

I wish you all the best 

• Mine was 77, it doesn't matter how high score is does it? I just can't  eat anything and I'm so scared of what they may find 

• Hi  There are several things that can cause blood in stools like piles, colitis, ibs, crohns and only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis. Hopefully you’ll get an appointment through within a couple of weeks but worrying and not eating will cause an upset tummy and then you’ll worry about that and it becomes a vicious spiral. Try to distract yourself and you can always give the support desk a ring on the number below if you want to chat to someone in person?

Please let us know how you get on?

Take care

Karen x

• Hi  How did your colonoscopy go?

• Yeah I will, it's not like I don't want to eat but just can't .on edge 24/7 if I have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment don't know what I'll do .hoping it's soon