Resection follow up

• 7 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hi all. My name is Colin and I am new to the forum.

I have recently had a sigmoid cancer removed (no stoma) and had my first follow up appt with a registrar.  I was told that my cancer was T3 N1 M0 and I will need chemo because of the affected lymph node (1 positive from 23 taken out with the tumour). Could anyone tell me what form of chemo I would be most likely to receive. If anyone has had the same TNM figure I would be interested in their prognosis.

Thank you.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. I was the same staging as you but with 2/17 lymph nodes affected. The usual chemo is Capox/xelox which is oxaliplatin in iv form then usually 13 days of capecitabine in tablet form followed by a week off. There is usually 4 sessions.
    I’ve attached a link to a post that we have about chemo top tips. There can be a lot of side effects but the nurses keep a close eye on you and you’ll be given things like anti-sickness meds to take if needed. It can be tough but doable and worth giving it a go to put the belt and braces on your treatment 

CHEMO TOP TIPS UPDATED

Hope this helps. I was diagnosed in 2016 (if you click on my name then you can see my profile page) and I’m still ‘no evidence of disease’ as are the 2 ladies that I went through it with who were the same staging.

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Karen. Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you've recovered so well. Im not looking forward to the chemo, especially the iv type. But I'm not willing to throw the towel in so I'm ready. But your recovery is encouraging. Thank you.

Colin.

• Hello and welcome,

My staging was T3, M0, N1b, G3. I have just undergone 4 rounds of CAPOX. Chemotherapy was offered because 2 out of the 24 lymph nodes removed during surgery were affected. The only difference is that I had a caecum tumour. 

Wishing you the best with your journey.

Rachael

• Hello Colin same staging and opp as you.I decided not to have IV oxiplatin and take tablets only  capacitibine. Agonised over this but got to point where I was comfortable with my choice.Ive just completed first cycle I've had headaches ,  tiredness  ,runny nose and increased saliva. Last day of tablets I developed huge blisters on on feet so dosage will be decreased .Overall I found hardest thing timing meals and taking tablets within 30 minutes it felt restricting and as you have to  have 12 hours between meals so i often ate when I wasn't really hungry.Other irritation is having to organise your own blood works pre chemo which my hospital trust has as policy.Overall I expected it to be much worse but its manageable for me right now. If I can't do it I will stop and revert to being monitored .Good luck you've been through a great deal  you will get through chemo and if you struggle you can stop at anypoint. 

• Hi  I was told that a couple of biscuits or a slice of toast was sufficient to take with my tablets so you could check that with your nurses? 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Similar , I have just finished 1st round of 4 treatments of oxaliplatin infusion/capcitabine oral tablets . Infusion every 3 weeks followed by 2 weeks of oral.

Prognosis is good , chose active treatment due to family history. .

If you have good oncology team they will go through options . Definitely follow the nurses advice even if you think you'll be fine .

• My diagnosis was the same, but I have temporary stoma.

I decided to go with the full 4 months of capox IV and tablets just to give myself the best chance

treatment wasn’t pleasant but doable

i have my first year CT and blood test next monthPray

I hope all goes well for you I scatz