Surgery advice

• 2 replies
  • 99 subscribers

Hi Wave 

has anyone had back of vagina , perineum and rectum removed . Plastic surgery and permanent stoma .

im having this surgery in 2 weeks. I can’t find anyone who can tell me their experience or give any advice .

im simply terrified but also want it asap .i can’t take this pain any longer and I now have a fistula to content with .

To say I hate cancer would be the understatement of the century…

• Hi  

It's natural to be scared of having an operation so hopefully someone in this forum will be able to pop in and share their experiences with you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Wishing you all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  

I’m sorry you haven’t had a reply specifically relating to your surgery yet. I’ve had surgery to remove the whole of my vagina and my rectum, so I have a permanent colostomy among other things, but I don’t have experience of plastic surgery so my experience is not the same as you will be having. I do, however, understand how scary it is to be facing such major surgery(I also lost my bladder and the whole of my reproductive system, but for a different cancer). It can be difficult finding people who have had the same surgery. 

Another group which may be helpful for you is the stoma support group and this is the link-

Stoma Support Group

This group has members who have different types of stomas, both permanent and temporary, so there is lots of different and useful advice there. As your stoma will be permanent, you will need to look at advice for permanent stomas but lots of the practical advice on stoma products and care is general advice so can still be very useful. 

I completely get your terror, but also your wish for the surgery to be done, especially contending with a fistula. I was desperate to have my surgery because of my level of pain, and if I can give you a positive note to finish on, I had my surgery 4 years ago and have had no complications from it since. I understand my surgery was different, but I hope I can still have an understanding of what you’re going through. I wish you all the best and hope you might receive some other relevant replies.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm