Folfox Chemo - Anybody Else Been/Going Through This Treatment?

• 24 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I'm new to this group and I wanted to ask the above so we can get some advice/tips/guidance on how best to manage side affects, health and diet, etc. 

My wife has bowel cancer and has just started her first treatment - due for her second round next Tuesday. 

Just wondering if anybody can give any tips/advice on how best to push through it all, what to expect (her first week has been fine in regards to side affects, etc and she's mostly felt tired and had intermittent waves of nausea). No doubt, I assume it may very well get harder and harder with each round. 

So I wanted to ask for any suggestions/tips, etc on what sort of eating plan is good (alkaline/protein/carbs or a balance of all of them?) and what side affects you might have experienced and what you did to help, etc. 

Of course, I appreciate everyone is different, but basically, any tips and suggestions are all welcome. 

Sending you all positive well wishes. 

Thank you so much. 

• Hi  

I'm on FOLFOX (second course), just done cycle 5/12. Side effects might get worse with each cycle (it does for me) but manageable. I have mouth ulcers and mucositis and drink Elm tea for it but the chemo nurse will also give some mouth wash. I have stopped sugar and processed food and fast 24h before and 48hr after chemo in an attempt to starve cancer cells before they get hit by chemo (a few studies have been done on that) but I have discussed it with my oncologist first. I find it difficult to eat enough so I go for a little often. My hands can get a bit sore and I just rub 4 drop of almond oil + one drop of turmeric oil. Cold is the main issue with peripheral neuropathy but with the weather getting warmer it helps!

Any questions, just ask Slight smile

Cecile

• Hi Cecile 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I am so sorry for what you're going through also. 

Thank you also for the advice. It's truly appreciated and very much needed. I want to be sure I do everything I can to help her go through this with everything she needs! 

That fasting tip sounds hard but worth it! We will definitely ask our Oncology team about that, as well as the elm tea. My brother mentioned Essiac tea, which I think is pretty much the same thing with the same ingredients, aim, etc, so it's in my shopping bag already! 

I need to look into the sugar advice also as she does love her sugary tea, etc but we have cut it down for sure. 

Thank you also for the tip on almond oil and tumeric oil. Wow, you've been so helpful and I really do appreciate it. 

Wishing you all the VERY best with your treatment. 

• Actually Cecile would you mind sharing the Elm tea you're drinking please? I've wanted to buy Essiac tea but can't find the original stuff as it's in the US only. Also I'd rather use something tried and tested. Thanks so much

• Of course, I get the elm tea from https://naturaldispensary.co.uk/products/Slippery_Elm_Tea_80g-4205-0.html.

I hope the chemo isn't too harsh for your wife, exhaustion is definitely the worse side effect for me but still managing part-time work and running after the kids!

I would also recommend you look at the webisite https://yestolife.org.uk/resources/ as it looks at a more integrative approach to dealing with cancer, in addition to chemo (diet, exercise etc.) and has some very good podcasts.

All the best,

Cecile

• Oh wow Cecile you sound superhuman with how you're working and managing kids still! It must be so hard and exhausting to say the least!

Thank you so much again for the info. We'll definitely speak to her oncologists, but for now I've got everything ready and waiting in a shopping basket if given the go ahead.

I really do hope you're getting on really well with everything and it's working!!

Have they been able to tell yet, from all the blood taking and scans etc if it's shrinking?

• I am due for a scan in April, mid-way through chemo but my CEA levels look promising: 14 before starting chemo, 13 after 2 rounds, 12 after 3 rounds, and 7 after 4 rounds Blush

• That's fantastic Cecile. I'm so so pleased for you! Keep going strong! Sparkling heart

• I am starting chemo soon. I am not sure if I have the same chemo drug, but was told it would impact my tastebuds.  They said ideally healthy food that is easy to digest but that in reality I may reject it. So then it is better to eat whatever my taste buds agree with, than nothing at all. 

• Hi Cyclone

Lovely to hear from you. 

I wish you all the VERY best with your treatment.

And that's a great tip! Very true. Eat whatever you can stomach as opposed to nothing.