Rigid Sigmoidoscopy

• 8 replies
  • 100 subscribers

Hi Folks

I've been unexpectedly called for a rigid sigmoidoscopy next week with no details of what to expect given.

I had a rectal tumour removed in 2021 and have a loop ileostomy. My initial colonoscopy at diagnosis was horrific (they knocked me out in order to complete the procedure) and it's left me very anxious around that sort of investigation although a subsequent gastrografin enema was much easier than I expected.

Any tips for a complete woose? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

• Hi BlueBlue

I’m sorry to hear your last experience of a colonoscopy was so bad. You say you have a loop ileostomy. Is it temporary?

I ask because I too had a loop ileostomy and before my surgeon would agree to a reversal he wanted a sugmoidoscopy done to check a join had healed properly. A sigmoidoscopy is nowhere near as intrusive as a colonoscopy as it only goes as far as the sigmoid. I asked for sedation which helpped a lot. I also had a smaller scope used as the surgery and resulting scar tissue had reduced the size of the opening.

There was a little discomfort but it was bearable and the procedure was over within ten minutes. Already having an ileostomy meant there was no need to take the dreaded moviprep, which I always find to be the worst part.

I hope that gives you some reassurance.

• BlueBlue,

I had a similar procedure, after surgery to remove a rectal tumour, that involved a camera inspection of the rectal stump conducted by a radiologist. It was much more straightforward than a colonoscopy and quite quick. I also have a loop ileostomy and - because my colon is no longer used - an enema is not necessary. However, the colonoscopy/radiology teams were confused with this aspect and it was the stoma nurse who confirmed it with them (phew!!).

You might just be worrying unnecessarily.

Best

Dulac

• #spider56 Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that it's a less stressful procedure. My ileostomy, in theory, is temporary and the gastrografin enema showed the join to be good, but I've chosen not to have a reversal.

That's good advice to ask for a smaller scope. I'll definitely do that!

Many thanks again.

• Thanks #Dulac 

My letter says that the procedure will be carried out by a nurse. I've not been sent the dreaded Moviprep (thank goodness).just 2 suppositories which I'm pretty certain I don't need.

Not entirely sure why the procedure is being carried out except that I've recently moved to a new area so have a new GP and NHS Board (plus Stoma and Colorectal team).

However it seems like a simpler procedure compared to a colonoscopy so hopefully straightforward. 

Thanks again for your reply. It's appreciated.

• Hi Bluebell, I too have had an appointment for a Sigmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy out of the blue. I'm due the procedure next Tuesday 19th March. 

I have a permanent colonostmy after rectal cancer surgery and have been sent the prep stuff so that'll be fun. My stoma nurse gave me drainable pouches to help me with that.

I had no idea this was coming because my next appointment with my surgeon was for May time. I don't know if I should be worried? Did they pick up on something when reviewing my notes? I must say I am a little anxious.

• Hi Hugo8

Yes, it's stressful right enough. You could maybe phone your colorectal nurse to ask why this procedure is needed now. I don't have any contact details for my new team so will just need to ask on the day. 

Good luck for next week. Fingers crossed that it's a positive experience for both of us, with a good outcome.

• Thanks Bluebell,

Even though I'm anxious about it, I'm going to just get it done and see what happens!!

Best wishes to you too. Blush

• Hugo,,

It might just be a case of being allocated a slot for the follow-up inspections, waiting for the findings to be analysed - which could take a couple of weeks - then seeing the surgeon when he is free, but within a short period after the analytical report is available. The departments at my local hospital are running flat out at the moment because of demand and a backlog. so what we believe tends to be worst case because of the nagging doubt when a sequence is changed. My appointments have just been set back a month or so because of this sequencing. The main thing for me is I feel fine so what more can anyone wish for?

Dulac